I am New here Foreigner and in remission

• 1 reply
  • 10 subscribers

I am new on this site.

I had my prostrate removed in Africa in 2019. I started bleeding uncontrollably. Eventually I was  fit to come to uk to investigate.
Diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in 2019, consultant said I was lucky to be in good shape despite what the CT Scan showed of my MM.

Treated my hospital acquired UTI, started chemotherapy as a private patient in a private hospital. 
This was and is still expensive. However I am now a private patient with NHS but same consultant. It’s still very expensive!

May 2020 got my stem cell transplant with very little side effects apart from being unable to eat hospital food ( tasted so flat), general weakness, diarrhea and blood requirements occasionally.

I am full back and feeling great. I have even stated playing golf!

I have decided to retire as my hospitality job in Africa.

I am still seeing the consultant as a private NHS patient, unfortunately I was told the disease is treatable but not curable.

(I have also been diagnosed with mild Hemophilia! This has not  been any problem as I don’t bleed more than anyone else).

I doubt if I can afford the cost as a private patient with no insurance for ever!

1. Is there  any  insurance I can buy even as I am about 66yrs old and already with MM?

2. Is there any financial assistance for foreigners with MM?

Feels better knowing there are people here willing to support in different ways.

Thanks 

• Hi again  and good to see you have found your way across to this corner of the community.

Yes Multiple Myeloma like my type of Non Hodgkin's lymphoma is incurable but treatable and for me Stem Cell Transplant put me into remission for the first time in over 17 years back in Sep 2016 (hit my community name  to see my full story)

You do have some challenges and I would suggest you need some expert advice with regards to your questions below

1. Is there  any  insurance I can buy even as I am about 66yrs old and already with MM?

2. Is there any financial assistance for foreigners with MM?

So could I suggest that you call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, support, financial and benefits guidance or just a listening ear.

Always around to chat ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge