Issues related to stem cell treatment

• 3 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi everyone

Not been on here for a while. It is now 2.5 years since my stem cell transplant and I am in remission from CNS Lymphoma. I was very ill after the transplant and was in Critical care for nearly a month. I had to relearn to walk, talk etc.  I had hoped that things would be ok by now, but for the last year I have had a rash on the right side of face, which has resulted in many dermatology appointments. Also, for the last 6 months or so, have had joint problems and am due for an MRI in a couple of weeks. I have been diagnosed with Scleroderma. No treatment as yet. Waiting to hear from the hospital. Has anyone heard of this? I'm back to having mobility issues and speech problems along with a constant 

Wishing everyone well.

• Hi  and welcome to our little corner.

The post SCT leftovers can be challenging and for some can unfortunately be life long.

I had two Allo (donor) SCTs (see my profile) it did take rather a longer time to recover following my second Allo, in a wheelchair for months, bad very bad PN in my hands, life long pain in my neck and back and I am left with an immune system that is very very fragile.

It’s ironic that you have ended up with skin problems as my rare Skin NHL (diagnosed in 1999) has now bean clear for coming up to 6 years now.

SCT is play off between benefit and effect. For me I am now 5 to 6 years past the point where, without a successful SCT I would not have been around talking with you, so for me the benefits greatly outweigh the effects.

We have an old thread that has collected some of our post SCT leftovers stories in Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

The group members come and go as most folks once finished SCT and out the other end tend to move on with life, I on the other hand stuck around to give any help I can.

Always around to chat more.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Jaffacake1

Not sure if it’s any use but one of the topics on Jeremy Vine Radio 2 was about Scleroderma, you can listen to it on the bbc website.

Mark