International health insurance

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi all (reposting this here - thanks for the suggestion Mike)

Can anyone recommend an international health insurance provider (as distinct from travel insurance) who will take on someone who has had a stem cell transplant? 

I've been calling around trying to get a quote but I haven't had any luck so far! Covid-19 doesn't seem to be an issue, but my medical history is...

I was diagnosed with non-hodgkin's lymphoma in 2016 and I had a stem cell transplant in early 2018. I'm in remission now, very well (for which I am grateful every single day), and my doctors are happy for me to move abroad once I've completed my vaccination schedule. 

My partner has been offered a two-year job in Beijing so we are exploring our options. Covid-19 is obviously a concern and we will both only go if it is safe. 

If anyone has any advice or recommendations I would be so grateful. 

For reference - I'm 32 years old.

• Hi secondtimelucky

I would imagine it would be near on impossible at this time to be able to get Health insurance for a long term stay in China. If you could it would probably be ridiculously expensive as the risk from covid is so high.

The only thing I would suggest is asking the firm your boyfriend is potentially going to work for whether they would/could cover your health insurance cost as part of the deal. However, I would be very careful.

Nick

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Fulhamboy

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your response. I completely appreciate that it's an acutely difficult time to be considering a move to China. His organisation won't deploy him until it's safe, so we can take our time - health is the no.1 priority! 

Covid aside, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has successfully taken out health insurance after a stem cell transplant. One provider told me ten years must have elapsed before they will insure me. All the others just said no outright. It's tricky! 

• Hi, , 

yes, our daughter normally travels widely for work as well as pleasure (but being considered very vulnerable she has hardly been out of the house since lockdown!) 

she was advised she could exclude the Lymphoma after her auto, way back in 2005, provided she continue with Septrin which she did for a number of years. Firstly she used Bradford &Bingley, then when they stopped insuring she used Eurotunnel. They then stopped all bar Europe insurances, so she tried Orbis for a year.
    After her allo they refused her plus she now needed to include the Lymphoma due to ongoing problems that allos give, so she tried Insurancewith, and has had an annual policy with them ever since, at a really good rate. She has needed to claim in the past, a couple of years ago now when she had a whole year without immunoglobulin cover and got frequent infections. A sinus infection meant it really wasn’t advisable to fly and they refunded her expenses without a quibble, in fact far quicker than her partners company! It’s well worthwhile phoning companies to discuss your specific needs. 

Hope things go well for you.....

Hugs xxx

Moomy