NHS

• 36 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Posted this earlier on another page but I thought I would share it.

Good news from hospital today as my bloods are all still good so the team in Plymouth have said I can now start sharing appointments between them and my normal hospital in Exeter. Hopefully this is the start of my moving on to the next phase of my recovery but I won’t lie and it comes with a huge amount of sadness.
Derriford NHS Plymouth have not just been my life over the past year, they have gone over and beyond to save my life and for that I can never thank them enough and my family and I will be forever grateful.
The past three years for me have been a constant processing of appointments and treatments within the NHS and I have never once doubted their dedication and professionalism in dealing with both my family and I.
To see people nationwide now out clapping and showing their appreciation for what the NHS does is absolutely wonderful and long overdue but it shouldn’t have taken a crisis like this for people to sit up and realise that we are truly blessed to have it but also it’s doing what it’s always done, saving peoples lives, not just today, this week, month or year but since it was started over 70 yrs ago.
Sat outside now following a family BBQ toasting marshmallows on the log fire. Thank you NHS, thank you. Heart️Heart️

• Hi, Mark

thats awful, I hope they get locked up and the key thrown away!

sometimes Karma just doesn’t get folk like that......

Stay safe

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• In other news, daughter got filmed by a neighbour, playing ‘Somewhere over the Rainbow’ from upstairs window on trombone at 8pm then all the clapping and cheering! she forwarded the last bit of film! (yes she’s a freelance trombonist and voiceover artist) 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• My husband was also treated at Heartlands Hospital Birmingham. Everyone on Ward 19 were amazing. Such a lovely bunch of hardworking caring people, who became like family. I hope they are ok at this awful time.

fanilow

• It was great to see everyone in our little culdesac out last night at 8.00.

I had my wife’s 50 year old Girl Guide whistle out with me.... we all agreed that once we are allowed, we will have a street Party/Ceilidh to celebrate Tada 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to fanilow

Hi fanilow I echo your thoughts especially the 2 nurses in the day unit that were pregnant, blood cancers don't stop effecting you because of a virus outbreak. Unfortunately my wife is in ward 19 at the moment with a complication from a Stem cell transplant they gave her a  course of steroids now she can't walk. Not being able to visit is torture for both of us but we have to keep calm and carry on. Is your husband still having treatment or is he in remission ? i hope it is the latter. Do you live in Birmingham? don't seem to get too may Brummies on this site. Once again here's to the staff of ward 19 see you again when this is all over keep calm keep safe

• Hi Anthony C

We live in Tamworth. My husband is 6years post SCT for AML. He is still only 94% chimerism but in remission  and doing great. It still feels like going home when we go back to clinic on ward 19. On a previous visit a lot of the staff came out to say hello. I think Mary the Irish nurse is sister now. Also saw Chris the Male nurse and Gary the cleaner. At the time my husband was in,  there were also two of the nurses who were pregnant, Mary was one of them.

Can't begin to think how awful it must be not seeing your wife. I was with my husband every minute I was allowed. Everyone says we are joined at the hip, probably why staying here in isolation is a doddle for us.

Hope your wife is back with you soon. Wishing her all the very best.

fanilow

• Going back to yesterdays M5 incident, hubs wondered if they were ‘travellers’ and that’s maybe why they were in convoy. If so then often rules don’t seem to apply to them?! Also might explain why the car turned over too; most keen ‘proper’ caravanners have extra good towing gear including stabilisers and a caravan rolling over would rarely end up with such carnage, and actually with modern towing gear, accidents are rare these days.

It still has me fuming that such flagrant disobeying of laws (and yes it is law) has the potential to cause so much harm. We have a brand new motorhome sitting in our drive, the only miles it’s done are home from the ‘shop’ and to get it filled with fuel. But I won’t take it out, it’s not fair or needed! I started our other vehicle to ensure it’s still ok, and moved it to and fro on the drive, to ensure brakes don’t seize, battery ok etc (but the new one has a solar panel which charges both leisure and van batteries! Clever!) We will do the same to the new one every so often to check brakes. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Regardless of who ever you are, it doesnt give them a licence to potentially spread the virus across the country. If they are travellers, then the law should still apply, and the authorities should ensure that stay in one place until further notice. If that's not possible, they tend to stay close together in their respective groups, a suitable site should be identified for them to relocate to but as local to where they currently are as possible.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to fanilow

Hi fanilow, thank you for your kind regards, the wife is slowly improving, they have had to put her on TPN nutrician  through a pick line so it takes time to see any benefit. The wife's chimerism is 100% her consultant Dr. Alex said it was remarkable for her age she was 71 when she had the SCT for MDS last October. Gary the cleaner is brilliant always got a smile and a good word and a great accent. Mary is now deputy transplant co- ordinator she took over when Kathy was off sick. Your Husband is doing great at 6 years post SCT I bet he has had a few ups and downs along the way it certainly is a Roller Coaster ride. Enjoy the weekend weather all change on Monday stay safe, stay calm

• Incredibly proud parents here, daughter was asked to contribute and film herself while doing so, to the Beverley Knight/Joss Stone rendition of 'Lean on Me', available to raise funds for the NHS. 

Its on You Tube I'm hopeless at finding and posting links but if you type this in it will take you to it....

https://youtu.be/g9BRGk-hZll

Hope that works! Its come up in blue so it might....

Hugs xxx

Moomy