Bone Marrow Doner

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 14 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi my mum is about to start chemo tomorrow and they are also looking for a bone marrow doner, they are testing her brother tomorrow but I wanted to know can they test me too? I'm her daughter and I didnt even think twice considering it. However how do I register? Where do I register? 

• Hi Nicola,

The best match you could be would be a half match or Haplo as it is known. Haplo transplants are relatively new in this country after being developed in China due to the one child rule. My sister was a Haplo match for me but my brother wasn’t. In the end we opted to go for a 9/10 unrelated donor as my team thought it gave me the best chance. Although Haplo transplants are showing positive results they didn’t feel the chemo regime used would be strong enough as my cancer has shown to be a bit stubborn. 
    Also, as well as the Anthony Nolan trust there is dkms.org.uk which accept older people than Anthony Nolan. 
    Good luck

Mark

• Hi Nicola

I had a 9/10 mismatched donor as I had an unusual tissue type apparently. Anyway almost 7 years post stem cell transplant doing fine.. My blood group changed from A Rh D neg to O neg....

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Maybe you aren't a match for your mom but you could still save a life by donating. Not sure if its the same organization in the UK but in the US, its www.bethematch.org

A simple cheek swab is all it takes!

• Hi Nicola,

sometimes siblings aren’t a close enough match, son wasn’t for daughter; but she had such a good match through the various links that they said it was 12/10! 
    the Anthony Nolan Trust (the UK version) are always seeking donors, and you can find them on most social media sites. The Trust was begun by Anthony’s Mum, Shirley as she was seeking a donor for her little boy and there just wasn’t any way that this was organised way back then. Sadly Anthony died but Shirley structured the Trust in his memory; what a wonderful memory!

daughters donor was found via the Trust, linking in with a similar organisation in Germany. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy