Stem cell transplant

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Morning all,

I start my 6 days chemo this Friday for my stem stem cell transplant soon after . I’ve had chemo before 15 years ago and as part of this current diagnosis but here this chemo is really tough . Any tips I would be very grateful.

many thanks 

• Hi again, have they told you the exact name of the chemo you are getting?

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• ....... on the whole the chemo used for conditioning is a quick hit and only lasts for a few days.

There are many types so each one can be different and folks will react so different to the same one.

The main one to look out for is Melphalan often used as part of BEAM.

I have bumped a thread in the group where we talk about having Melphalan.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi Mike,

Hope you are well ?

Yes I am going to have Beam chemo .

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Excuse my ignorance Mike ,I assume bumped thread means noted or highlighted in some way ?? 
    Kind Regards 

Julie 

• Yes Julie, I had never heard the word 'bump' until I started in the Community Joy

BEAM is used a lot as Conditioning and is very effective. I did not have BEAM but did have Melphalan, do look at the Melphalan and Ice thread as it does have some very important information and please come back once you have looked at it with any questions.

I was one of the few folks who had a reaction to the 'M' but I am pleased to say that this does not often happen.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi Mike ,

Looks  like ice pops and ice are going to be my new best friend!! When having the chemo, worth a try if it helps stops ulcerated mouth silly little things can cause so much discomfort. Once again thank you for your help .

Kind Regards 

Julie 

• Hi Julie, it would be good to talk to your team about this as some SCT unit don't do this!!!!! and this does make a lot of difference in the long run.

Always around to answer questions.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge