Flu Jabs

• 11 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Just a reminder that it is coming up to that time of the year again for flu jabs and I saw a sign in my GPs for flu jabs clinics. If you have recently had your SCT check with your medical team if you should be having it. 

• Hi Paul,

Got my invite through the post the other day. And it got me thinking, under what criteria have I been invited? Is it an underlying health condition? Or a weakened immune system? Neither seems to fit exactly as I’m in remission and I had my bloods done a few weeks ago and the consultant was happy with them all. Don’t get me wrong, i’ll definitely go for the jab, I was just interested to know what category the NHS has got me under? 

Sorry, I love to over-think these things!

Greg

• Was to see my GP last week and emails will go out start of next week. I started getting the jab at 50 due to my Asbestosis diagnosis but my wife is rather frustrated that she is advised to get the jab as well to protect me Joy

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Flu jab time?! The time goes so fast!

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi all

I asked this question to my wifes team recently, my wife is in completel remission at present and haVe been told that this years flu jab is not a live vaccine and therefore should be fine,  suggest all check regardless.

Nick

• Yes moomy, had my winter jacket on for the first time today and even the heating has been on Umbrella

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to greg777

Just read your response and popped into the conversation to suggest that you have a look at the similar thread that I started this evening in Carers only I've included the criteria for all 4 NHS units in the UK which is quite comprehensive. Weakened immune system is certainly on the list for having it.

Regards

Ian

ps I am having mine this Saturday morning

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Fulhamboy

Hi Nick

I have lifted this from the NHS England criteria on who is eligible for the 2019 flu jab

• adults aged 18 to 64 who are either pregnant, at increased risk from flu because of a long-term health condition, or a frontline health or social care worker are offered a quadrivalent injected vaccine. The vaccine offered will have been grown either in eggs or cells (QIVe or QIVc) – both of which are considered to be equally suitable
    • adults aged 65 and over will be offered either an adjuvanted trivalent injected vaccine grown in eggs (aTIV) or a cell-grown quadrivalent injected vaccine (QIVc). Both vaccines are considered to be equally suitable.

I hope this is of interest to you and possibly others.

Ian 

• Thanks Ian. 

My question was more of a conceptual one. The only two that I think could apply to me are long term health condition or weakened immune system. My question was do I really fit into one of those two brackets and why? Re: myeloma, of course it’s incurable, so it will probably come back one day, but I feel well, there is no impact on my life other than taking two penicillin a day. All my bloods are good so I don’t think I fall into the weakened immune system either.

Also, it’s a psychological question. To all intents and purposes, I’m being told I’m well, just get on with life as it presents itself. Then, you get a invite to do a flu jab. So does that mean I’m not well?

Cheers

Greg

• If you’re concerned about sitting in your GP surgery waiting room then ask at your local pharmacy, many do NHS flu jabs now and will offer you a time to suit you. Ours have stocks from next Monday, and as it’s a small pharmacy just said ‘pop in when it’s convenient for you’

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Just heard of one flu casualty among the breast cancer group, maybe the flu beast is around early this year?

take care, all

hugs xxx

Moomy