Low neutrophils

• 18 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi guys,

hope everyone has had a good Easter. 

Need to ask a question- Katy had her transplant in October as you know, she’s doing very well, has had a couple of spells in hospital with antibiotics for infection but was told her CD4 count was excellent and she’s off most medication. Then today she’s had a particularly bad bout of tonsillitis, pus on the throat, ears etc so when temperature went up she got an appointment at out of hours GP- so when she saw him he said he couldn’t prescribe antibiotics as her neutrophils from her last bloods in Edinburgh 3 weeks ago were less than 1, but the hospital hadn’t been in touch and she was at Glasgow last week and they didn’t mention it- are low neutrophils par for the course in an infection post transplant? 

Obviously my first thought is that something is wrong with the transplant  but I think they can be low due to a virus? Can anyone reassure me! 

I know I’ll get good advice from you guys! 

Judith

• Hi Judith,

Yes, neutrophils can go low due to viruses - mine often fluctuated below 1 through to about 8 months post transplant when things started to stabilize after I had a course of immunoglobulins. I’m really hoping that this last reading is just a blip and Katy will be back feeling better soon. It really is a case of 3 steps forward, 2 steps back for quite a while post SCT.

All the best

Greg

• Hi Judith,

Our daughter had a really rotten winter, the one before this, was frequently on antibiotics and was never refused due to a low neut count; but when it was checked, hers too was less than 1. She’s had 2-3 weekly immunoglobulins right through this last winter and they hope this will help, certainly she’s only had a couple of colds all this last few months. 

I would start asking if Katy could be investigated and helped.

hugs xxx 

Moomy

• Hi Greg,

thanks, she’s had a few viruses and when she was in hospital 3 weeks ago which was when they’re saying they were low- they said she had 3 separate viruses- Emilia is 15 months now and is constantly snotty etc as kids are so infections are going to be the norm but as soon as I heard her neutrophils were low I immediately think the leukaemia has returned although if that was 3 weeks ago and they didn’t worry about it then but surely that will have made her more prone to infection? Because the consultant told her last week it was ok to go to places like soft play with Emmy!

KT’s mum 

• Hi Greg,

thanks, she’s had a few viruses and when she was in hospital 3 weeks ago which was when they’re saying they were low- they said she had 3 separate viruses- Emilia is 15 months now and is constantly snotty etc as kids are so infections are going to be the norm but as soon as I heard her neutrophils were low I immediately think the leukaemia has returned although if that was 3 weeks ago and they didn’t worry about it then but surely that will have made her more prone to infection? Because the consultant told her last week it was ok to go to places like soft play with Emmy!

KT’s mum 

• Hi Moody,

thanks, it’s just that feeling you get that you think everything is ticking along nicely then hey ho here we go! 

Obviously you immediately think that’s it the leukaemia is back but all her other bloods are ok and she was in with a virus when they were taken 3 weeks ago and she was at her appointment last Thursday so I’m assuming if something was abnormal they’d have been in touch so hopefully it’s just a blip- I think because she’s been so well this last two weeks- Emmy and husband had this d and v going around and Katy didn’t get it so she was saying I’m the fittest of them all! 

KT’s mum 

• Oops sorry- moomy not moody! 

KT’s mum 

• Hi Judith, I am now 4 winters in and have had 5 stays with various infections and my counts always go down but recover once the infection goes, but yes, it does seed the ‘what if’s?’’ xx

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike,

i suppose it’s something that if I get an infection my neutrophils are probably low as well but I don’t take my temperature and don’t have my bloods done so I’ll never know! 

KT’s mum 

• This is very true. We have had the four granddaughters staying over the past week and they are all full of the cold to a greater or lesser degree so I have had the windows open all the time and been outside most days and so far so good Fingers crossed

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Yea and unfortunately katys little one is only 15 months so I’s constantly snotty or coughing , both her and katys his day had d and v last week and Katy thought she was doing well as she never caught it! 

KT’s mum