Auto Transplant for Follicular Lymphoma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 9 subscribers

I asked this question in the Follicular group but here I might get more answers.

I was diagnosed with follicular lymphoma last year, bulk tumor mass, stage IV. I went into R-CHOP. Now my PET scan shows the same lymph nodes absorbing glycose, again. Smaller than in 2018, but pretty active. I changed my doctor and the new guy recommends an Auto Transplant. He told that if one gets the disease within 2 years of the first treatment, transplant becomes indicated. Did anyone in the list undergo transplant with Follicular lymphoma? How is your experience in terms of progression free symptoms after the transplant? Are the nausea and other side effects that bad?

• Hi Dan , good to see you have found our little corner of the Online Community and let’s look for any FL folks to answer your first questions. 

I had to have an Allo SCT (well I had two) with Stem Cells from my brother and for my first Allo SCT I had no side effects, no nausea and was eating all the way through the 4 week stay in the SCT unit. With post SCT recover very quick.

It is important to remember when looking at SCT that an Auto SCT generally has less issues than an Allo as you are not open to GvHD and the recovery tends to be quicker. Yes, some of the chemo can be strong but it’s not for long.

Yes, I did have a harder journey during my second Allo SCT but by then it was a do or die situation so they had to hit my condition hard to make it work..... and I am now in remission from a condition I was diagnosed with 20 years ago that I was told I could never be in remission from - so a good successful story to keep you going.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thanks again Mike.  20 years man, that is great.

My life had many lows but all the time I was able to find a hope a squeezed in.