Maintenance Chemo

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi All

My husband is having chemo atm to try to get into remission for Auto SCT, he has had 2 sessions so far and we have a PET scan on Tuesday, results Thursday.  Really nervous as chemo is really hard on hubby.  We have first appointment at UCLH on 8th October.

I just wondered I have read a few things about some people have Maintenance chemo? no one has said anything to us about this as yet! Is this something everyone has to has after SCT? 

Xx

• Hi and looking for good results this week.

Yes, some folks do have ongoing maintenance. I was told the SCT had to kick my condition well into touch so 'the what next' was never spoken about so can't give any info with regards why maintenance is required but I am sure that some of the others will be along with their thoughts.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Bellabing,

Maintenance chemo is quite common in myeloma after auto-SCT, especially in the US. It is thought to help achieve the longest possible remission. Not sure if this is in any way relevant to your circumstances, but just thought i’d share this knowledge, as I have come across it a fair bit.

All the best,

Greg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to greg777

Thanks for reply’s.... so strange how everyone is different.  Hope that’s not the case for Greg, he isn’t too keen on the thought of ongoing chemo! But then If it’s his best chance then that’s what we have to do xx

• You could post your question along with his basic medical journey to Jane, our Nurse who has experience in Stem Cell Transplant and post SCT aftercare as it would be good to get her professional opinion as to why this is the case.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Bellabing,

i clicked on your profile to remind myself what type of Lymphoma, but you’ve got nothing on there. (It does help us!) 

if it’s Hodgkin’s then yes, quite often, especially in the USA Brentuximab is used post auto to hold remission. I guess they are beginning this in the UK too as it’s had some good results as a maintenance drug, and kept quite a few folk on an ongoing remission.

Hugs xxx 

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

My husband has Myeloma.. He had SCT in January and is now on maintenance chemo.  We were told before SCT that this would be the case because he was resistant to to initial induction treatment.

best wishes

Teresa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Teresa,

My husband also has myeloma. I wondered what maintenance treatment your husband is having as we will be discussing this over the next few weeks.

Best wishes,

Samantha

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Samantha,

He's on a 4 week cycle of Ninlaro (Ixazomib), 4mg once a week for 3 weeks, and Dexamethasone 10mg once a week for 4 weeks. Quite often Revlamid goes with it but my husband seems to be allergic to it so he's not having that for now,

Has your husband been through induction and SCT?  How's he doing?

best wishes

Teresa