SCT Success Stories

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 157 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with classical HL in October 2016.  Had 2 cycles of ABVD and got a clear scan.  Had 4 further cycles of AVD - clear scan.  Less than a year later, 7cm 'mass' in my chest.  Lit up like a Christmas tree, as did a lymph node in my neck.  Had a large biopsy (around 3cm) of the mass in my chest and it came back negative for lymphoma (thank God right?!) but left us in limbo.  Further scan, lymph node in neck still lit up so this week i'll have that biopsied followed by another PET scan next week.  My dr says if I have relapsed, it with be GDP chemo for me plus SCT.

I guess I'm after success stories?  There might already be a success story link if someone can point me in that direction?  Has anyone had GDP?  What was it like?  I head your hair may not fall out.... is this true?  Is there anyone out there a few years down the line and living the life of their dreams.  

I've been handling this really well and taken advantage of this 'limbo' stage that we've been in for the last three months.... but now it is coming to an end with this new biopsy and scan... I'm getting really scared and starting to lose hope.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Shelley

• Yes Mark these final ones were very sore.

Its amazing even now how quick things change.

Yesterday.....

10.00 Developing pain in left kidney 

10.05 Phone call with GP

10.30 Wee test done

11.00 Antibiotics in place 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• My that was fast! Gold star to your GP surgery!

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Yes moomy, they have been amazing over the years on the journey

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Daughters GP jumps fast too, I suspect they are intrigued to have someone with a rare condition on their books. 
    Hugs xxx

Moomy

• We are a special in our own way Smirk

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• If only my GP hadn’t spent a year telling me I had anxiety and depression when in fact I had cancer, I might not have needed the close attention I do now. Cry
    Glad you got it sorted quickly though Mike. I’m still in close contact with Plymouth & Exeter hospitals so any problems I don’t even bother with the GP I just call them 1st. 

• Our lass was convinced it was muscular to start with and waited till she saw a physio who asked her who her GP was and told her to change, which she did, then got an appointment when the GP said (just the same as physio had) ‘don’t like the look of that’ which was what set balls rolling, took 2 weeks at each stage, first ENT, then test results of fine needle biopsy, then decision for node removal, then another 2 weeks, diagnosis and a further 2 weeks to see haematologist. I’m not sure it would have made much difference as her HL was chemo resistant anyway. 
    Hugs xxx

Moomy

• I’m with you re: GP experience Mark unfortunately. I didn’t even see a GP before I was diagnosed. And even now, they have no idea about my background. I got asked why I needed the flu jab when I went the other week and my wife was initially refused it until we explained it was government policy for people living with extremely vulnerable to Covid people to have it. Not a great experience unfortunately. Like you though I have a good relationship with the hospital (spent so much time there lol!) that if I have any problems I tend to just skip out the GP. I think it’s because they are a big practice, you never see the person so I have never built up any personal connection.

You should hold onto that relationship Mike, you have some gold star treatment there! Hope it’s clearing up.

Greg

• Thanks Greg, feeling a lot better, it’s amazing what a few antibiotics can do.

My GP surgery is rather special and the relationship started over 29 years ago when we moved to Inverness and meet my GP.

Over the years we became good friends both as my GP but in other settings. So he walked the first 18 years of my cancer journey including my two Allo’s.

He retired coming up to 3 years ago but on his last week he got me into the surgery and introduced me to the GP who he thought would be the best fit for me and he was spot on, she is great.

Folks who have had SCTs along with other patients who need quick turnaround with meds or appointments have a clear note on our computer notes so when anyone logs in they get instant action.

I still see him and over the past year I have been teaching him on how to building new roofs for some outbuildings on the family Croft on the West Coast and he doing a great job.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Just found a film of ‘Mr Blue Sky’ released by RNCM students, on Facebook; our lass has been giving on line lectures about the subject of filming and producing music in lockdown, and had coached wind, brass and harp students in the rehearsals, and was instrumental in advising and helping putting the whole film together! I thought she must have been involved the moment I saw it, quizzed her by text and yes, she laughed and admitted her involvement! 
    so proud

Hugs xxx

Moomy