Late side effects pelvic radiotherapy

• 3 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi all,

I finished external and internal pelvic and abdominal radiotherapy end of May. I struggled with the radiotherapy as it was targeting lymph nodes near bowel and top of stomach (ilier and para aortic). I felt very sick and had diarrhoea. This radiotherapy was adjuvant as I was very lucky to be told I was NED after chemo. Once I finished radiotherapy, the sickness and diarrohea seemed to stop. Then, around 3 weeks ago I had a feeling of burning or almost like my knicker elastic was too tight on my right thigh/groin area. This feeling has now progressed to cramping pain, IBS type symptoms. My latest scan from 5 weeks ago show I'm still NED but do have post radiotherapy inflammation. My question is, has anyone else experienced these type of pains? It definitely feels bowel related to me. I'm eating and drinking what I like but feel I should be changing my diet, I'm just not sure where to start. I also have moderate to severe diverticular. Obviously lingering in my mind is it's the cancer rather than side effects, so just looking for anyone who's experienced similar or has any advice. Many thanks for reading. 

• Hi Summer

I also had chemo and then external beam radiotherapy for endometrial cancer. I am coming up to 2 years post treatment.

I also had nausea and diarrhoea during radiotherapy. It seemed to peak after treatment finished and then began to settle. I still however have some lingering side effects. Most of these I control with diet. 

It is perhaps reassuring that you had a scan 5 weeks ago and were clear. 

I do feel however you need to be checked- perhaps GP initially as this pain started after your scan and has progressed. I wonder whether the radiotherapy has affected your diverticular issues. However you are only a 3/4 months post treatment and I know I was still having quite bad symptoms then. It may well be that you need to look at your diet and see if your symptoms are food related. I did develop some intolerances. 

Pelvic Radiation Disease Association (prda.org.uk)

I found the above helpful. 

I do feel it would be best to get checked though- to ensure that these are expected late effects rather than being caused by something else.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks Jane, I know you're right in that I need to get checked. I'll phone GP on Monday x

• Good Luck.

If in doubt always get checked. 

With me my symptoms got initially a bit more worse after radiotherapy, then begun to slowly improve. Any symptoms I have now are similar to the ones I had during radiotherapy, there are no new symptoms, they just vary to a degree by what I am eating. 

You have some new symptoms that need checking and you will hopefully get some reassurance but better to be checked. 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm