How long does fatigue from radiotherapy last?

• 4 replies
  • 9 subscribers

How long does fatigue from radiotherapy last? What are the other side effects and how long do they last? My son is due 25 sessions of radiotherapy and is gong to France two days after the last one. Has anyone who had 25 radiotherapy sessions got any advice

• Hi  

The fatigue and any side effects from radiotherapy would be very different for each individual, and also depend on the cancer being treated- so it’s not possible to give a definitive answer. 

I had 32 sessions of radiotherapy but it was pelvic radiotherapy for a gynaecological cancer. What I can say is that the effects were cumulative as time went on, and I was extremely tired. I also suffered from some side effects. I could not have even contemplated going abroad 2 days afterwards, but it may well be that others would have felt well enough to do so because their treatment was different. 

You are best to look for people who are having radiotherapy for the same type of cancer to get a better idea, but everyone is unique and experiences things differently. Fatigue, side effects and how long they last will not be the same for everyone, and some people don’t have any issues with it.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you very much indeed for taking the trouble to reply.

• I understand from your other post you are worried about late effects, but that your son has not begun his radiotherapy yet. 

It’s possible for some people to suffer from late effects long after treatment has ended, hence there is help available. But as your son has not started radiotherapy yet, any effects cannot be predicted so it would be a case of wait and see how it might affect him. The majority of people can continue with their lives without encountering this, but any effects which are causing ongoing issues would be investigated by his team with a referral if necessary. 

It’s best to concentrate on the here and now of treatment rather than anticipating potential problems far down the line which may never happen.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm