Late effects

• 2 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi all

I had chemo/radiotherapy last year that completed in May for anal cancer T2 N1 so am now 8 months post treatment. I think I was fairly lucky in the way I came through it -  it was not a good experience but I think judging from what some people say I was lucky not to have extreme problems. My 6 month MRI showed no evidence of disease. Great - although I can't feel excited as I know I can never again take things for granted! 

I take Laxido pretty much daily as otherwise constipation causes painful toilet time but I range between diarrahoea on some days and acceptable kind of loose stools - better than constipation!!  I also have bladder leakage - not bad mind you but enough so that I need period pants or a pad. This is frustrating. I still feel fatigue on some days and now have started having an ache in my left hip/top of my leg that makes movement slower - so I often take paracetamol to help with that.  I have been referred to the 'late effects' clinic in Bath to assess.  I understand that some people develop pelvic radiation disease sometimes following treatment but from what I've read it all seems to be about 'managing' your effects.  I'd welcome anyone elses experiences/advice in all this!

Carole x

• Hi Carole  sorry to read about your post Radiotherapy ‘left over’ issues.

I have a completely different cancer (a very rare Skin Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma) so I have had a total of 45 Radiotherapy zaps as part of my treatment years (Between Sep 2013 to Oct 2015) and have been left with some long lasting medical ‘left overs’.

Some of my treatment was in every lymph-node in my body so I li e with a reduced chance mine system so infections are part of life. Some treatment was in my Anal area so I have permanent damage resulting in various problems like not being able to sit long, bleeding that often means my FIT tests come back positive.

To widen your search for people in the exact same position I would recommend you put this post up in the Anal cancer support group that I see that you have been active in for some time.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike - thanks for your reply.  I have read your experiences and have the utmost respect for what you have been through.  Mine pale into insignificance besides that!  I'll do as you suggest.  Thank you!

Carole