Pain caused by treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 9 subscribers

My wife is going through radical radiotherapy for bladder cancer. Not a typical case being less than 50, female and a non-smoker. Chemo was rough, radiotherapy looked like a six week slog but was going OK. She is nearly at end of the treatment but lately she is in so much pain it's really distressing for us all and I feel so useless. She describes it like being stabbed with a red hot poker or something is stuck that won't come out. She has been told take paracetamol but it's not effective any more.  She was warned off ibuprofen as it might upset her stomach but I think she has bigger things to deal with. Never felt so lost.  Any help appreciated. 

• There are plenty of medications more effective than paracetamol that your wife could be prescribed and it's outrageous that she hasn't been given them.

Who is in charge of her pain management, her GP or her oncology team?

If her current doctors aren't addressing the problem, it's time to ask for a review by the pain management team.  Her oncology team can organise this.

• I had extreme pain during a few cycles of chemo,  I contacted go said I needed more than paracetamol and was prescribed Tramodol, worked but did cause low blood pressure, switched to liquid morphine. Didn’t need it that much but certainly helped

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lolie

Thanks for the feedback, to answer your question it's the oncology team.  I think part of the trouble is the radiographers can't prescribe medication.

Thankfully we found some ibuprofen and that managed to get a grip in it.

She went in this morning and mentioned it again, the radiographer said they would bring forward the weekly review to try and help.

And the review person did call this afternoon but recommend paracetamol over ibuprofen.  My wife told them paracetamol wasn't touching it and she would continue to use what worked.  They conceded the point and will prescribe something that she can pick up tomorrow.  Codeine is out though, she tried it while on chemo and they made her sick.

• My gp prescribed omeprazole to protect my stomach for days I took ibuprofen 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I had radical Radiotherapy for 6.5weeks, daily for muscle invasive bladder cancer mid May to end of June last year.  Due to being elderly with heart problems I refused Chemo.

I was OK until about 4weeks in when I experienced a cutting and slicng nerve pain  from the mid vulva, including swellings on one side, also the burning sensaton when unrinating.  The back passage nerves were also involved.  The feeling that something hard was stuck and making the vagina sore I also had.

After 6 months of ever increasing pain it suddenly stopped..  Unfortunately, the treatment made my overactive bladder worse which was forseen as a side effect. to eradicating the cancer.  

Bladder cancer is usually not a killer but can be life-changing. and keep recurring.  I will be undergoing regular tests to check for recurrance.

Nothing helped my pain, not even morphine.

I am now hoping for an improvement in the hourly bathroom visits night and day. which has made me housebound. and exhausted.  But the pain has gone..

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks for sharing your story, I am sorry that you had so much pain as a result of the treatment.  Wishing you all the best going forward.

My wife is now home, having just spent 36 hours in the oncology acute unit as they tried to get her sorted.  She went in for RT and further blood tests yesterday morning as they were worried about kidney function, and kept her in overnight and most of today.  Only learned last night that was why they were telling us to avoid ibuprofen.  She's now got tramadol which seems to be working.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember
    • Thank you for your update and isood the Tramadol is working. and your wife is home again.  My problems were all nerve damage/pain.   Some time after the end of the RT I had a CT of Thorax,Abdomen and pelvis checking for spread but with no contrast as am allergic.    No spread could be seen,..
    • All my best wishes for your wife.