Radiotherapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Hi all I'm new too this group .

My name is Bev , I was diagnosed with breast cancer may last year , I had a mastectomy then 6 round of chemo . I've just started radiotherapy which I'm.having for 3 weeks . What are the side effects too the radiotherapy? Peoples reactions ? Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thankyou Blhope xx

• Hi

I can't answer your question, as I didn't have radiotherapy, but I thought I'd suggest that you also post this question in the breast cancer group, which I can see you're a member of, as they have a radiotherapy thread. If you'd like to do this then clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

Wishing you all the best with your treatment

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Extreme fatigue is the usual for all undergoing radiotherapy. which sets in after about 2 weeks.  Other side effects will depend on the area of the body and individual reactions to skin irritation.  I had pelvic radiology and was supposed to experience loose bowel movements but did not happen to me, but did have lower abs pain and discomfort. but no skin irritation.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I’m just about to start radiotherapy but reduced to 5 longer sessions rather than 18 smaller any advise hints or tips to help or things to watch out for. Xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I think it depends on where in the body you have the treatment.  5 sessions is relatively small compared to mine which was 33 but I had no chemo only the rads.

My sessions lasted 6 minutes of actual radiation and the strength was 66Gy.  We were all told to drink lots of water.

Good luck.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I think mine are now 5 sessions at 20 mins rather than 18 x 5 mins xxx stay safe