adjustable orthopedic beds

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 4 subscribers

My father is hopefully going to be released from hospital where treatment of his cancer has ended and he is moving on to paliative care. He wants to go home but his bed is not suitable. We need one which will be comfortable - he has a large growth between his shoulder blades - and also needs to be able to sit up and get in and out of the bed. Someone will be with him all the time but he still wants to maintain his independence for as long as possible.

He does not want to buy a bad and wants us to hire one for him. Does anyone know if this is available anywhere? He is close to Glasgow.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Tom,

Have you asked to speak to the hospital's OT department ?  When my husband was discharged from hospital last September the OT organised for a remote controlled hospital bed to be delivered to our home and it's ours for as long as it's required. Hope this helps. Take care and best wishes to you and your Father xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Before your father goes home, the OT at the hospital should visit his home to make sure that it is safe for him to be at home and has all the aids required to help him rehabilitate.

He should not be allowed home unless it is safe for him to be there.

The equipment that the OT will supply will be free of charge (although it's really on loan as it will be picked up when no longer needed).  Don't buy anything without speaking to the OT, they can organise and supply a great deal, and they will know what aids are most appropriate and will guide you if you need to buy anything.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi,

You could contact your GP who should be able to arrange an adjustable bed with airflow mattress, aids for bathing etc.  I got this and am from same area as you.  It didn't take long for this to be done - they can also arrange home oxygen if required and help with care.  Hope this helps.

• I think I have seen some recommendation on the site of one clinic www.lacartes.com/.../1874979. I will look for the exact article as I had to save it if I remember correctly. By the way, is it possible to look on forums? People often share such things free of charge. Or just share a post on one of the local forums.

• Hi  and welcome to the Community.

You will see that this post is rather old do the members may well have moved on from the community.

Could I highlight the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have Cancer Nurse Team in our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge