Insurance for terminal cancer patient from Spain to the UK

• 3 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hi,

My step dad is a british national in hospital in Spain where he lives, he has just been told he has terminal pancreatic cancer. He is not suitable for treatment and his wishes are to try and get home to the UK for palliative care. We are currently looking for a company that would insure him to get on a flight from Spain to the UK, has anyone got any advice on support? Thanks in advance 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your stepdad has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and I can understand why he'd want to return to the UK for palliative care.

As he is coming from Spain to the UK, I think his insurance would have to be taken out with a Spanish travel insurance company. However, as I don't have any personal experience to draw on, could I suggest you give BIBA (British Insurance Brokers Association) a call to see if this is the case. The link I've created will take you to their website with their contact details on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you very much for your reply. Yes is it the case we would need a Spanish insurance company. We are just struggling to find one that will do it  We will keep looking. Thankyou for your kind words and swift reply x

• You could join us over in the travel insurance group and start a new post there asking for recommendations. However, most people are looking for insurance the other way around, ie. UK to abroad, so there might not be anyone there with the relevant experience.

If you'd like to join the group, just click on the link I've provided.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"