Capability For Work Assessments And Universal Credit

• 4 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Has anyone on here had to complete a DWP Capability For Work Health Assessment Advisory service Questionaire? It’s horrendous and only seems to take cancer seriously if it is terminal, or treated by Chemo/radiotherapy. So far my bowel cancer is leading to surgery (date as yet undecided) with Chemo as an option if the operation is not fully successful. I just looked them up online and saw a copy of one of their typical forms here assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/.../uc50-interactive-final-0917.pdf Really dreading them turning me down, compromising my Universal Credit benefits or forcing me to work in Covid spreading environments. In my weakened state the Corona virus could well be the death of me. 

• Hi 

Navigating the benefits system is very complicated and I would strongly advice you get some professional help.

I navigated PIP during my treatment and only got it following some intervention ion by a Macmillan Financial Adviser.

The Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support or just a listing ear. Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Your could check to see if you have a local Maggie’s Centre as well as a CAB centre https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk as these would organisations all give free financial support.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Forester42, I'm wondering how it went with your Work Assessment? If it's OK to share I would really like to know as I'm going through that now. I'm on hormonal therapy whilst waiting for a hysterectomy which could be a few months away as I need to lose weight first. So I'm in limbo just now and I'm hoping the DWP will give me the time and leave me on UC sick leave in the meantime. Hope you are well now. Thanks.  

• Hi , I will always advise talking with a benefits adviser, best thing I ever did. See the links in my post above..

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• they estimate another 8 weeks to their decision - pleasant enough to talk to - it lasted 90 minutes