Imminent hair loss - corona even affected wig sourcing

• 4 replies
  • 3 subscribers

Hi all 

so I’m literally days away from losing my long hair .  Scalp is sore , hair feels dead , and I’m scared to brush it - I know it’s just a matter of hours but I’m clinging on  

pragmatically it’s just hair it will grow back. What’s important is that my treatment plan is all positive 

but.. Mentally I’m really struggling ( and feel ridiculous )    Feel like every shred of confidence is falling out with it 

wigs - I can’t wear one that looks fake.  - do any  actually look good ?   If so do you need to spend a lot? Noticed some are thousands   Anyone had any success online ? ( corona has shut everywhere down )   Is real hair the better option if you can afford?  
Nhs Uk scheme. - apparently not straight forward.   Looking online I didn’t thing I’d get anything as not on benefits but chemo nurse says there is a referral scheme with prescription charges that may still save money.   Haven’t got much info on that from anywhere .   Who are the suppliers? Are they rubbish or worth looking at ? 

hair covers was my likely preference but everything I’ve ordered leaves me inconsolable when I try on   Learning towards beanies as can’t pull off a turban and feel too young for a scarf but maybe I’m just not finding the right scarf 

I’ve been so positive that my cancer is treatable and determined to breeze through the chemo side effects and I’m disappointed that if all things that have broken me , it’s my hair - feel ridiculous   I don’t want to embarrass my kids who are at ‘that’ age    They tell me to stop saying stupid things of course 

do other people have these same challenges ?

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us.

I am dropping in past from our Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma group I see you joined, I had a different type of NHL and different type of chemo but do get the challenges you are facing.

The treatment of blood cancers can be rather intense and does take some time...... but is do-able. I lost my hair three times due to the treatments I had and as a man it was not a big issue but I did have a great head of hair - now a more thinner looking style. But it was just one of the many bumps on the treatment road.

Why not put up your post in the Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma group as some of the ladies in the group could help you understand what they did and how they navigated the journey.

From what I have see, many did not bother with wigs as they were more trouble than they were worth. 

Can I also highly recommend our various Macmillan Support Line Services - you can call them free on 0808 808 00 00 This service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 9.00 to 5.00 but check the link but you may find the service very busy at the moment.

Always around to help out as best as I can.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Easter see see

I haven't started my chemo yet but i have been looking at wigs and thinking about what i will do when i lose my hair i have quite long hair and  i am considering shaving it off and keeping it, so, i do sort of know where your coming from there is so much to think about, i was told by my nurse that i would be given a voucher to go towards a wig but won't find out any more until my appointment with my oncologist on wednesday.

I do have quite a few fancy dress wigs and was considering wearing a turquoise bob that i have as people know that i have cancer and i think people wouldn't judge if they knew i was wearing a wig but i've changed my mind that many times its mind boggling.

.I don't want to wear a scarf or hat i just won't feel right in them so i do know how you feel. I say i will shave my hair off and wear a wig but i won't know how i really feel about it until i do it, i know there will be tears but i have to remember that this treatment could save my life .

I am getting anxious about this but i know once i've shaved my head and got over the shock of it i will be fine like yourself i care too much about what people think i look like but at the end of the day it sounds like you have a very supportive family who don't care about the cosmetic things they just care about you getting better, so try not to beat yourself up too much i'm sure your family will still think you are just as beautiful as they thought you were before this.

• Thank you Mike, it’s truly eye opening to see just how many people are dealing with so many things 

• Thank you  

I don’t think there is an easy answer to this , I’m just gonna have to take a deep breathe and get on with it 

one day at a time .. first step facing my immediate family , next step chemo nurses and then worry about facing everyone else another day    Wonder is corona shielding might  keep me in until it’s shoulder length again ?  Good luck with your treatment ! X