My Dad has been diagnosed with lung cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi. We found out yesterday that my dad has lung cancer. He’s 67. We don’t know anything more than that yet. It’s the very start of his journey. His GP has diagnosed him from a recent scan so we are now waiting for appts for more scans and a biopsy. Is it normal to just think the worst? Trying to be positive for my mum and my children (3 and 1) but it just keeps hitting me like a punch to the chest and I don’t know what to think. Trying not to google it because it’s all bad news! Emotions are everywhere and not sure how to process this. My mum had breast cancer 13 years ago so we have been here before but it just seems so different this time round. Maybe because he’s is so much pain with it. Mum never looked poorly. Sorry for rambling. I can’t organise my thoughts at all xxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Louisa, the bit before the patient gets a treatment plan and the treatment begins is the most anxiety inducing part of the experience.  Once things get going you will find things will start to improve as your focus changes to the positive things that can be done for your dad.i think you are right to stay off google as each lung cancer patient is totally unique and will respond to treatment differently. Try not to fast forward to the worst case scenario as treatments in many kinds of cancer are advancing all the time. I’m sorry your dad is in pain, this must be distressing for you to watch, I would encourage your dad to speak up and ask his gp if there is anything that can be done to help in the interim until treatment starts. it’s important not to suffer in silence when something may be available to help.

• Hi  and a second welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about your dad.

A cancer diagnosis can indeed bring a lot of stress, confusion and questions on all the family but talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot.

Although I was diagnosed with a rare type of Lymphoma 20 years back I have also had investigations into a lung issue, this takes time to get all the tests done but it was confirmed that I have Asbestosis, I am pleased to say it is stable and not seen as life threatening....... so please don’t jump to any conclusions - you can only go forward with this once all the facts are in place.

Can I direct you to this link to our very supportive Liver cancer group as this will open up your concerns to a wider audience who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

Just follow the link I have created then hit the ‘Join This Group’ tab just under the main group name, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your very own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group and ask your questions.

As I was the person with the cancer my experience of supporting someone is very limited, although my wife has been amazing over my 20 years. You may also find our Carers Only and Friends and Family groups to be good places where you can connect with others support family through their cancer journey but more importantly the carers care for each other.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering cancer diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear Jane. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. It means so much. You’re absolutely right about the wait being a hard part. Dad wants us to carry on as normal for now which is easier said than done but I have two little ones who are keeping me distracted! Dad has had a variety of painkillers from tramadol patches to oromorph and more recently pregabalin. None of them seem to be helping so I’m sure he will go back to the GP today for advice. It’s so hard seeing someone who has always been such a tower of strength suddenly look so vulnerable. Hopefully there will be a treatment plan available to him and we can start to focus on that. Xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Dear thehighlander. Thank you so much for all the information and tips. Whilst it’s not a place I wanted to find myself I am encouraged by the fact there seem to be an awful lot of people in this community who are able to offer help and support. Thank you for shairing your story with me, it brings hope to know that there may be light at the end of the tunnel. Xxx