Possible impending diagnosis

• 1 reply
  • 60 subscribers

Good afternoon everyone,

Not too sure if im in the right place, but just asking for a little help please.

My step dad has been having trouble breathing, gasping for breath, palpitations and his abdominal area is larger on his right hand side. He has been feeling generally unwell and really tired for 2 months or so now, but has only mentioned it to us in the past 2 weeks.

He has now been for 2 ultrasound scans, a CT scan and is awaiting an appointment with Gastroenterology and also awaiting a MRI scan at the weekend, more blood tests and a spit test, all within a week.

He has had a phone conversation with a Dr from the hospital who has openly told him they are looking for cancer as he has 'angry' looking lymph nodes on his lung and other lumps on his liver that they have said they are very concerned about.

I understand he is pre-diagnosis, and may never get a diagnosis, but i'm beside myself and I am also struggling to support my mum emotionally. I was wondering if anyone else has had a diagnosis after these symptoms and could offer any advice on how to help support her please, places to go, people to talk to etc.

Thank you, and sorry if im in the wrong place.

• Hi  and warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community although sorry that you had to find us and especially sorry to hear about your step dad’s ongoing diagnosis. This is a hard time when you have no clear plan and this puts a lot of pressure and stress on all the family.

Talking with others caring for family and friends on a cancer journey can help a lot so do check out our Family and friends and Carers only groups as you will connect with others walking the same journey supporting family and friends through their cancer journey.

Once he has a clear diagnosis talking with others who are walking the same type of cancer treatment journey will help you navigate this challenging time.

The Community is organised into cancer specific support groups so once you know the cancer type look through our list of Cancer specific groups, once you find the correct group join the group(s) by choosing 'click to join' or 'join' (depending on the device you're using) on the page that opens.

You can then introduce yourself by putting up a ‘New Thread’ or hit the box with the X on the top right (phones). You can also join in with existing ‘Discussions’ by clicking on 'reply'. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge