New to all of this.

• 32 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi all. 
Hope you are all as well as can be. 
Unfortunately I seem to have joined your exclusive club recently. 

7 weeks ago I was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer which after numerous tests has now shown it’s metastasised to my hip, sacrum and upper spine. 

must admit to this being a bit of a shock and all happening incredibly quickly. 

I start my chemotherapy next week and have radiotherapy as well for my hip to see if it can help with the pain in my leg. I’ll try anything they can throw at me. 

I’ve seen so much hope and positivity on here, but this is my first time actually posting. To be honest I’m not sure what to put or what I expect, but I just thought I’d say hello. 

I told the oncologist that I was going to ruin their statistics and outlive the predicted 18 months. Fingers crossed I do. 

take care all. 
simon. 

• You’ve just reminded me to add a 6 nations rugby match to my bucket list. 

• Hi @Rojan. Somewhat off topic for non rugby fans but never mind - definitely go to a 6 nations match. Tickets aren’t easy to get unless you belong to a rugby club or can get invited through hospitality. Not sure who you support (I am English) but the guaranteed method is to find the authorised company providing ticket and travel packages for your nation - eg England Rugby Travel. You pay through the nose as you have to either buy accommodation or travel along with the match tickets. 

• Hey Simon, from another Simon. You are right, get and take everything, especially any anti sickness, even when you don't feel sick. Challenge everyone politely,  get what you want and remember,  that is so you can make memories. 

It is unfortunately a rush and shock when you get given the news, so it's good to try these forums.

My fiancée and I have drawn up our list to work through, space travel, climbing Everest, etc aren't on it, achievable and realistic and great things are. 

Then there's the cry ugly once piece, before getting going with pink fluffy and having a fantastic life.

As with lots of us, here to listen and share should you want or need too.

Keep on keeping on.

Simon

• Hi Simon, I'm relatively new to this as well. I've had chemo, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. So far, things are going well with my treatments, so although it is daunting,stick with it. I know how scary and bleak a stage 4 diagnosis can be, but people can and do beat predictions. Keep well. Ruin their predictions, I plan to!

• Hi  

Welcome to the group. I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis and that you are stage 4. I remember my own bad news appointment, I half expected it but it's still a shock to be told. My appointment was 9 am and by 10.15 I was sat in the pub with a large glass of wine. People around me were having breakfasts and cups of tea and I was just sat there, spaced out and numb. My profile is there if you would like to read it, just click on my username. It is a good idea to write a profile yourself as it will help in members replies to you and it saves you repeating yourself. Just click on your own username then profile and don't forget to save. I am currently stable after treatment and have been for 10 months. My body is not what it used to be and I have taken ill health retirement but I am trying to make the most of life, a very different life to what was before. You already sound very positive but if you're looking for hope, I can recommend a book by Kelly A Turner - Radical Remissions. The outcomes are rare but it gave me hope when I didn't have any.

Keep posting, it's a great group.

A x

• Hi Simon. 
    Thanks for your reply. I’ve got anti sickness tablets for next week. Busy week first chemo on Monday and radiotherapy on Wednesday afternoon. They are going to zap my back and hip to see if helps with pain. At 54 I’ve avoided the tattooist gun till now and now I have 5 dots tattooed on. Maybe dot to dot could be interesting. 

Ill take whatever they can throw at me. 
    thanks and take care, get ticking that bucke list. 

• Hi fellow newbie. Thanks for your reply. I’m hoping chemo doesn’t knock me out too much as I’m still working. Have chemo Monday afternoon, but I have to work Tuesday radiotherapy Wednesday, but I’m working Thursday and Friday so next week could be fun. I’ll chew the anti emetics like smarties. 
    thanks and hope you stay well. 

• Hi sistemoon and thanks for your reply. I’ve been humbled and amazed by how many people on here have been so welcoming. 
    I will get round to doing a profile it’s just been a bit busy last few weeks. I’ve never been as popular my diary is full. 

I will have a look for that book. 
    thanks again and stay well. 

• Hi Simon, I know everyone is different, but I've managed to keep working. I was warned about sickness as a side effect - and it didn't happen for me. I know they have to give you worst case scenario, so you do expect the worst. I was expecting to lose my hair, etc. But you never know, you might find it straight-forward. Chemo gets cumulatively tiring, but in my experience was bearable. I'm now onto immunotherapy - and so far, had 2 meetings with my oncologist since beginning treatment, and each time I've had no evidence of disease (which is the best you can hope for at stage 4). So keep going, stay well and dig in. I was told I had a 1 in 6 chance of them stabilising my cancer, but I am starting to think I might well be that lucky if things continue to go in the direction they have so far. It's hard daring to hope, but you know your body best, and if you feel well then you are well. Keep going. 

• Hi Simon, welcome to the elite group of people on our incurable site. Just write what ever you feel like writing thats what we do. Hope you don't  get to many side effects from your treatment. One day at a time and keep on keeping on xx

Moi