What i'm doing, hope to do, or would like to do this summer

• 148 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Evening lovely people

Just wondering what everyone is up to this summer, If anything, have you booked a holiday, special day out or just a treat for the afternoon, evening. Something that's going give you something to look forward to.. a small boost.

It may give those of us who haven't decided yet ideas of what they can do, wether it be big or small.

I have booked to go a local..ish, small three day music festival in July,  I'm also seeing Billy Gibbons { from ZZ Top } in consert, thankfully that is local as well,

I would also love to take my van, Mr T {swb ford transit van with basic camper converstion} up to yorkshire to visit the James Herriot museum. But i am i little worried it will be too much for me with the distance etc.  My only saving grace is that if i do get too tired i can climb in the back for a kip and a cup of coffee anytime, with no real deadline to get home.

Cat x

• I've been researching my wife and my family histories for about 15 years, lots of thing we didn't know and were surprised at, the largest supprise was that one of my ancestors married one of my wife ancestors in Spittle Berwick on Tweed 1810.

• Love it! We are so fortunate that we are able to discover our families past due to technology! 
    I can’t get further than the Irish uprising to find out more about the Jennings (my great grandmother) as all the records were destroyed in a fire. 

• Yes I've come across that problem and church records are so badly damaged they are unreadable, iv folled my 7th grandfather's wife's tree and it goes back to Ireland 1615 the Woolfe family. Famous general.

• My step grandfather was from Cork MSG23, he is named on my tree, but i've not looked into his side, as i understand a lot of the records in Ireland have been destroyed in bombings etc, which would obviously make it really hard to do.

Cat x

• My lovely grandad was born in Tourmakaedy, County Mayo. He was magic! I thought Ireland Flag ie was magic too. I fitted in like glove. His mum was a Jenning. My niece said a while back that we would take a trip over there and find old records in churches but time has slipped by…..  

• Wow! That’s quite an achievement to go back that far. And it’s good to discover a famous relative Grin

• Very odd family his father and his brother were Irish activists, but he joined the British army, General George Woolfe he died in Canada, you can Google him.

• My Granda was great, and my aunt has the typical irish wit. i love her to bits !!

I always wanted to go and see Youghal, where he was from. So about 20 odd yrs ago i packed up my tent, got on the coach and landed up staying in Blarney. I had a fantastic week.

I found the house he lived in and to talk to one of his neighbours who remembered him !!

I love Ireland it's beautifull and would love to take Mr T over there and travel round to the Ring Of Kerry, Limerick, Giants Causeway and down round the south. I really am going to have to try and get back there.

I took my son to Dublin for the weekend for his 18th, eleven years ago, again we both had a great time.

I love the irish music, and guiness, but i can only drink it over there, i can't drink it here, it upsets my stomach.

Cat x

• There are some pubs in Dublin it's not safe to be in.

• Hi Chell,

You are so right about people not doing proper research on Ancestry. I had this issue with some bloke in Denmark I think it was, who pasted my whole tree into his. Our family name was Montague and he fitted it into a branch of Lord Montague' s family - no relation at all. When I looked it was so obviously rubbish as he was allegedly related to all the royal family and finally, right at the end, to Jesus! Why do people bother to do this? It's so pointless.

I've done a mix of slog and DNA and it is helpful in that it can narrow down the area of search. It is very addictive and time consuming too. I used to be able to work the dates out in my head, but now I have to do it on paper.

Rainie x