New Skills

• 68 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi everyone, l saw a post on another thread from  that she is learning a new skill of calligraphy. That's prompted me to begin a new thread entitled New Skills, Elliekate is learning one every month. I'll be happy beginning and mastering the basics of one every year but maybe given my bone marrow cancer diagnosis, I'll try to learn the basics of one every 6 months. I've been diagnosed now almost 8 years so wish I'd started earlier! 

I'm going to learn willow weaving, I planted 1500 willow trees for 5 or so years until my back gave up 7 years ago. I hope to harvest the trees from now for fuel for my wood burning boiler stove that will do my central heating once I dry the wood.

1500 trees gives me more branches that I'll need and I now have some willow whips that are different colours for making baskets etc. I'm not what you would call arty but I can follow instructions in 3 or 4 books I have on the subject.

Anyone else started a new skill lately or have I sparked any interest and inspired anyone?

I made a few of these 3 or 4 years ago. Never did woodworking in my life, put a few shelves up and put skirting up but never actually made anything. Proud of them I am, Mrs Tvman did the paintwork.

Take care everyone

Tvman xx 

• Hold on a bit please? Now I'm confused!! It there another post and thread that has other photos of what people have done?if so, I haven't seen it. Can someone let me know where it is and what Heading it comes under please?

Every post is for every member of the Group to participate in or not. It is a personal choice. It is great to hear everyone's crafts! I do lots of jigsaws online and I find the ones with water at the bottom with reflections of the mountains and shore are the most difficult. It is hard to distinguish between water and sky, also the reflection is upside down in the water but the middle of a tree, for instance, makes it hard to see if it is the correct way up or an upside down reflection.

Is that clear. Or is it as clear as mud? It is 02.05 after all!!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi  , I can't imagine what a pompom bouquet looks like so I'll be interested to see one next month. I should Google it but that would spoil the surprise. I remember making woollen pom poms, again when I was small from a circular piece of card with a whole in the centre but I can't remember the details. If course that was almost 60 years ago so I can be forgiven on that!.

Tvman xx 

Love life and family.
  • Hi  , what a strange instruments the Hammered Dulcimer is, I've never seen the like of it.

I'm so happy that you're getting such joy from playing it because you sound like you' were in a dark place before beginning to play it but what a great distraction it has proved. 

I too am taking a couple of antidepressants but they have a side effect of being pain killers for my back pain. Unfortunately they're not doing me any good..

Tvman xx 

Love life and family.
  • Go for it Sarah. It's so easy to get started. I thought it was magical before I learned but it really is all based on one stitch,a loop through a loop. Even just with plain knitting and colours and making squares and rectangles you could start making lovely blankets and simple jackets.

•  Slight frown pain is so miserable. I'm sorry Tvman. 

• My sister's use to make woollen balls, 3 different size cardboard rings, keep threading the wool round the until hole in middle disappeared cut around the outside and tie in the middle, then fasten the 3 balls to geather with more wool and hang them from their belts, different colours and different designs, goodness'me that's 70 year's ago, forgot all about them.

• Annette, there's only one thread as far as I'm aware.xx

Love life and family.
  • I can assure you that 70 years ago was before my time, I'm only a young 64Joy 

I find it easier to remember what happened 50 or 60 years ago rather than what happened last week lol. Those balls you describe sound more complicated than the ones I made,. 

Take care my friend 

Love life and family.
  • Hi Sarah, good to know that you're enjoying this thread. Good news from you on 2 fronts, one of your daughters is due in May and you're knitting for the baby. What is it you're knitting,? You've time to knit a couple of items at least, yes?

Tvman xx 

Love life and family.
  • Hi Annette, your granddaughter looks delighted! I'm not finding the knitting quick, I'm out of practice and was never a quick knitter! Hopefully I will get into the swing of it!

My othe daughter is a very talented knitter and crocheter, so baby should be well provided however my project goes!

Sarah