Confused about PIP

• 22 replies
  • 53 subscribers

HI

I've been advised to apply for PIP.  Is this the same as DS1500?

Also, do you have to have a prognosis of 2 years or less  before they'll consider you?

I've never asked for a prognosis yet.  I know it's incurable and I'm having palliative chemo and radiotherapy.

Initially I felt guilty for even thinking about applying. But then I thought sod it, it's not as if they'll have to fork out and pay me a pension. Am below state pension age so they'll score on that front.

I also stupidly paid ££££s to make up my shortfall a year or so ago. I try not to think about it too much as it was rather a lot of money. More fool me, trying to be sensible about the future!

Any advice appreciated. X

• Hi Harebelle, don't know about pip, but McMillan have a wonderful welfare unit, which my McMillan nurse put me in touch with, they told me I was entitled to attendance allowance which is based on you needs not income, I didn't no it existed.

They phoned me and filled in the form from my answers, sent they form for a signature, sent back and they sent to the correct department, got the allowance 3 weeks later, fabulous service from McMillan, so please contact them for help, if you don't have a dedicated nurse give them a ring.

All the best Ulls 

• Hi Harebellle,

I think, as far as I know that if we are stage 4 we get PIP. My CNS referred me to welfare rights. A lady from there rang me up, asked some questions then she completed all the paperwork.

Within a week I was receiving PIP payments and received a blue badge for disabled parking.

Hope you get sorted,

Amanda x 

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi yes you are entitled to full pip. My doctor notified pip and I only had to answer a couple of questions. I'm stage 4 also. I applied for a blue badge after being given pip and a disabled bus pass x

• The people who make these decisions on who gets pip and who doesn't are an inigmer to me, after my wife broke her spine in 3 places, and ended up in a wheelchair, she go a blue badge and disability bus pass, but she didn't qualify for any benifits, since 2004 we have my income only.

I sincerely hope that you are successful in your claim.

All the best Ulls 

• Ulls, I would question this re. your wife. I have PIP and the 'Benefits & Work' website helped enormously. I recommend them, especially if you have to fill in the forms yourself.  Rainie x

• Thanks Rainie, I will try again, it's nice to know you were successful.

All the best Ulls 

• Hi  ,

I took my PIP application to Macmillan at the hospital.  They took the form off me and three weeks later I got the letter saying I had been awarded the higher rate.

They will arrange for the DS1500 to be completed and know how to phrase things to make sure it goes through OK.

I just received my letter saying I need to apply again as it is due to expire soon.  This will be my third application as each award lasts about three years.

Please note that this is the situation in England but might vary in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as they all have their own health arrangements.

All the best,

Gragon xx

• Hi . Just noticed all the helpful answers here/

Give the Macmillan Support Helpline on freephone 0808 808 0000 and speak to an expert. They'll be able to help I'm sure.

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thanks everyone.

I've done the phone consult part and when I get the form I think I'll ask my macmillan contact (she's lovely) at the hospital to help me with the form.

On the phone they asked if I was terminal and i had to say 'I'm not sure how long I've got because I've never asked', I said I'm stage 4 and incurable but wasn't sure if it was the same thing.

Because I said that she said she couldn't fast track me.

That bit was a bit confusing. Feel it could be worded better.

• Hi Harebelle, like you I'm an currently a treatable incurable, basically we are not at imminent risk if death, so what ever claims you make go through the normal way.

My friend was diagnosed a couple of week prior to me, was fast tracked because she was terminal, less than 6 month, actually live 7 months.

she died exactly 1 year ago today, hope this explains things for you.

All the best Ulls