Confused about PIP

• 22 replies
  • 51 subscribers

HI

I've been advised to apply for PIP.  Is this the same as DS1500?

Also, do you have to have a prognosis of 2 years or less  before they'll consider you?

I've never asked for a prognosis yet.  I know it's incurable and I'm having palliative chemo and radiotherapy.

Initially I felt guilty for even thinking about applying. But then I thought sod it, it's not as if they'll have to fork out and pay me a pension. Am below state pension age so they'll score on that front.

I also stupidly paid ££££s to make up my shortfall a year or so ago. I try not to think about it too much as it was rather a lot of money. More fool me, trying to be sensible about the future!

Any advice appreciated. X

• Ulls, Rainie is right. Try again as a lot of the PIP questions are about mobility, what you can do, what you can't do and how much help you need on a daily basis. I take it your wife has these sort of problems, so you should emphasis these on the Form. Good luck! 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • The last form was completed with the help of McMillan, they appealed against the decision to refuse PIP but still rejected, 

The first time she tried for assistance she had a broken spin and wheel chair bound, I was doing All the house tasks including looking after her and the kids, and working full time. Our friends took over when I was a work.

She was told to attend a medical, when we got there it was on the third floor and no lifts, so I put her on my back and carried her up,

She was asked to climb onto the assessment table unassisted which she could not, the

assessment was ended.

Go a letter saying as my wife refused to take part in the assessment, cliam dismissed.

Since then she has had spinal surgery and no longer needs a wheelchair, but still has problems walking, because the spine has been fuse and rods screwed in to the spine she can't bend or twist round, other complications chronic heart and arterial problems, and partial vision, 

Still rejected , All the best Ulls 

• That is one of the worse experiences I have heard on here. No more words.

• Ulls, please go and look at the 'Benefits & Work' website. If you sign up - best thing I did regarding this - they have guides to help you through the process. A lot of the questions are tricksy - deliberately so - so anybody would need guidance and they will give it you, plus lots of support. You will need to get your wife's doctors on board, plus statements from any therapists, like physios etc. to support your claim. Given what your wife has gone through and how it's left her, this shouldn't be difficult. I would also advise doing the claim on paper and not falling for the phone or online assessment as its really only a written statement that you can be sure of and have a copy of it all in front of you.

You are also entitled to have a written statement from the bozos who did the assessment giving the reasons why it was refused. These are often full of outright lies that you can then challenge. If you've the energy and bloody-mindedness to give it a go, then go for it. All the best,  Rainie x

• It's not me that requires convincing she's been knocked back so often she on a why bother mind set, been talking about it the last few days, she alway asks the same question, we are ok for money aren't we, as we have a joint account she now's the answer already, I say not the point.

I'll just keep trying can't do anything until she agrees, I will take a look at the site you recommend.

Thanks Rainie you are a treasure 

• Hi Ulls, I do understand her reluctance but she is entitled to PIP and that's why she should give it another go. They tend to ask the same question a few times but in different ways, which as Rainie says can be tricky. You have to encourage her to answer as if it is one of her really bad days! We all have good and bad days but it is only the bad days they are interested in. So my Occupational Therapist told me to answer what I could/could not do on my worst day! Good luck! X

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Thanks Annette, I'll try to wear her down, she so stubborn at times, but always lovely 

• That's good advice.

I think their questions can be confusing. 

It's not a linear illness.  Some days I can walk a mile or more no problem but on a bad week I have to sit down and rest just walking from the living room to the kitchen.

On those days I can't stand in the shower without feeling faint.  And even when i do have energy and think I can walk far, I find myself purposely picking routes that I know have lots of potentials for sitting down eg cafes or benches or low walls to sit on. Just in case I need them.

So this business of (can you walk x amount of yards) is a ridiculous question.

It depends whether you're on an up or a down phase.  Their questions seem to assume you're either one or the other and real llfe isn't like that.

That's why when my forms come through (have done the phone bit) I'm going to ask my macmillan nurse to help me fill them in. 

She's an expert.

• Hi PIP is what used to be disability living allowance 

I went ages before applying and it is an annoying process at best it’s not means tested and is based on disability 

Worth applying though 

macmillan do have great support for with the forms but I managed myself but I deal with a lot of forms in my job so I’m used to it 

• Hi Ladies, I just like to say you are a lovely bunch, I now I complain that my treatment is turning me into a girl, and some members think I am, I don't care really, it's been accepted and helped by you all, that keeps my going, thanks,

Sorry rambling on