Back on the ward again

• 42 replies
  • 51 subscribers

So after the radiotherapy they said issues could get worse before getting better so a bit of decline in leg performance was expected. New drugs took forever to get to me but I was able to start them on Monday. Today legs rubbish pain in back horrible, no urine output and raised temperature. So call the assessment line and called straight in.  
Had blood & urine tests, ECG,MRI and regular obs.  catheter installed and now feeling a lot better except the legs are still rubbish

they have doubled my steroid dose so I’m guessing sleep isn’t going to play a factor for a while 

anyway how’s your day been?

• Richard, the OT department of your local NHS should supply you with walking aids at no cost to you. I was given a 3 wheel travelator, a couple of seats for the shower and the toilet and a manual wheelchair. Also a few rails for the front and back door. They were supplied within a week or two, surprising given our health service in Northern Ireland is painfully slow.

I also have a mobility scooter that I bought myself at a motability show. It's really a chair on wheels with a detachable basket. It breaks into 5 pieces and stores comfortably in the car boot. The heaviest piece is around 22 kilos,, though so you need to have some strength left, or another younger person to help. If no companion, you'd be amazed how many strangers would hold the other end to help you get it in the boot.

Take care Richard and good luck

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • I have found a scooter with the heaviest part at under 10kg. Which will fit in the boot of our Yaris just, lol. The rest of it I’m going to get OH out and then take what they offer or buy my own depending cost as again I need to go lightweight so my glamorous assistant can cope as she has arthritis and fibromyalgia plus other things.  

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Sounds good to me Richard, I'd say go for it. I have a Yaris too, bought new in 2006. It has 150,000+ miles on it. Still moves great too, nice bodywork Joy I have a motability car, a Toyota CH-R, a hybrid, and the gallonage is high. Last week I achieved 81mpg.

My motorised scooter cost £800 about 5 years ago. What's the name of your motorised scooter? 

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • We got our Yaris via our nephew it was the ex loan car at his dealership only had 3000 miles on the clock and was 8 months old. We got it for 40% below new price and they took both our cars in part ex.  So it really was a no brainier.  The car returns 50+ mpg and has everything we need. 

the scooter is the motion healthcare alumina pro.  

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Good deal Richard, and I'll look the scooter up. Thanks

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • Hi Richard,

I hope that you are feeling better today and are home soon. You seem to be enjoying all the technical talk about cars and scooters. The issue with your legs and feet not behaving as you expect them to sounds really alarming and disconcerting!

Best wishes 

Sarah 

• Well Richard we want you back out asap and getting another pizza and some vino down you. Wishing you all the very best and hope the drugs and the legs get sorted soon. A really big hug. Rainie x

• Hope you are feeling better today and fingers crossed that the pain meds are working for you and you are back home soon xxx

Flippen
  • So sorry to hear this Remoh, I hope you get sorted out soon Xx

• Oh Richard...i hope you could get a bit sleep?? Are your legs better today? Best wishes, Pet ( ps. i got a Yaris to lol )