GP Daily Appts Phone-in

• 55 replies
  • 49 subscribers

My GP offer a phone on the day if you need an appointment.  I phoned yesterday and today bang on opening time at 8am.  Engaged tone.  I'm ringing continually until 8:30am when I had to take my daughter to school.  I tried on my return after 9am - same.  Eventually about 11am I get the ring tone, it's answered, and the machine tells me I'm number TWELVE in the queue.   I hang up - clearly all the appointments are gone now.   Today I get the ring tone at 9:30am and I'm number thirteen in the queue.   I have lost the will to live now and I give up.   

Fastest finger to the GP phone line . . . . . . . . . .   sigh

It's so dis-spiriting when you don't get the ring tone.  

I don't think phone-on-the-day is the right way to do it.  I think they should do double-booking (to allow for the no-shows) or a universal triage system.  Or I think the haematology/oncology treatment lines should offer more support to take the pressure off primary care.   

Or perhaps the system is working and the fact I've given-up shows it's not important enough for a slot LOL  Laughing

I know many people aren't available at 8am due to school run or work so my problem is miniscule in comparison.