GP Daily Appts Phone-in

• 55 replies
  • 49 subscribers

My GP offer a phone on the day if you need an appointment.  I phoned yesterday and today bang on opening time at 8am.  Engaged tone.  I'm ringing continually until 8:30am when I had to take my daughter to school.  I tried on my return after 9am - same.  Eventually about 11am I get the ring tone, it's answered, and the machine tells me I'm number TWELVE in the queue.   I hang up - clearly all the appointments are gone now.   Today I get the ring tone at 9:30am and I'm number thirteen in the queue.   I have lost the will to live now and I give up.   

Fastest finger to the GP phone line . . . . . . . . . .   sigh

It's so dis-spiriting when you don't get the ring tone.  

I don't think phone-on-the-day is the right way to do it.  I think they should do double-booking (to allow for the no-shows) or a universal triage system.  Or I think the haematology/oncology treatment lines should offer more support to take the pressure off primary care.   

Or perhaps the system is working and the fact I've given-up shows it's not important enough for a slot LOL  Laughing

I know many people aren't available at 8am due to school run or work so my problem is miniscule in comparison.  

• Hi

I was on phone to gp this morning as well, 7.59 surgery not open, 8,01 your number 18 in the queue, what ,got threw, i wish to see the Doctor, why i was asked, i bit my tongue, i have seen the nurse five times since February, and the problem has not been solved so i want a dr, was told yesterday there would be 3 drs at surgery today, then i said it is my right i am on her books and she gets paid for that.

I got appointment but so frustrating no wonder my blood pressure is high.x

I fill for you,

Ellie xx

• It's a disgraceful situation. Well done for persevering and getting an appointment.

• Yep it's a triage by the receptionist!   Clearly I'm impatient when I give up at 13 Joy  You're so right, it's the frustration.  At least if I phoned up and I got an appt for next week, I know where I stand.  

• Well just got back, and i got to see two doctors, but now i wish i had not. lol.

Take your pick, could be a blood clot, heart failure, infection,who know.s /

Happy Days

i have been going there since Feb and every time was the nurse, that is why i  insisted.

Ellie xx 

• Wait! What?!  You saw a GP in person?  I'm just a phone number to my GP and my oncologist.  

• Thought my gp had left, not seen her for two and half years, but this morning i insisted , and it was like get one get one free.

She examined me the called the other p in to confirm.

Ellie x

• They probably want an invite to your next party. Did they ask if I will be there?

Now I'm off the ladies hormones I am in demand. Xx

• Been in this neck of the woods 11 years. Registered with one GP. Saw him once after about a year when I needed a hip replacement. By the time I asked for him again 6 years on, he'd retired. Since then it's telephone triage and although I have a cancer-trained GP I can ask for, in all this time I've never met him. It's just not the same on the phone, nice as he is. But can't see it going back to how it was - too much pressure on the system. TOO MANY PEOPLE!!!   Rainie x

• You and OBS must be related, you are both so grumpy! We can't have people euthanised just so you can get the the quacks a bit quicker. So there.

• Hi everyone, the GP phone challenge must be nationwide, as we have the same problem getting an appointment, even if you are lucky to do so we can never see the same GP twice.

We have been told that the GP is altering the way they work, all contact from the GP to the patient will be by text only, this cuts down the time spent on speekin to patients, such a careing service??????