GP Daily Appts Phone-in

• 55 replies
  • 49 subscribers

My GP offer a phone on the day if you need an appointment.  I phoned yesterday and today bang on opening time at 8am.  Engaged tone.  I'm ringing continually until 8:30am when I had to take my daughter to school.  I tried on my return after 9am - same.  Eventually about 11am I get the ring tone, it's answered, and the machine tells me I'm number TWELVE in the queue.   I hang up - clearly all the appointments are gone now.   Today I get the ring tone at 9:30am and I'm number thirteen in the queue.   I have lost the will to live now and I give up.   

Fastest finger to the GP phone line . . . . . . . . . .   sigh

It's so dis-spiriting when you don't get the ring tone.  

I don't think phone-on-the-day is the right way to do it.  I think they should do double-booking (to allow for the no-shows) or a universal triage system.  Or I think the haematology/oncology treatment lines should offer more support to take the pressure off primary care.   

Or perhaps the system is working and the fact I've given-up shows it's not important enough for a slot LOL  Laughing

I know many people aren't available at 8am due to school run or work so my problem is miniscule in comparison.  

• GP consultations over text ?  Surely not?!  Everyone can talk better (faster) than they type.  You know what's next?  GP online bots or those phone systems where you speak your question and the machine responds eg "Sorry, I don't understand your question.  Please use fewer words. ".  Then it gets the wrong question, answers it and closes the call, marking you as "fixed" Joy

• You are going to be proved absolutely right Mmum. X

• Hi Mmum, to be quite honest with you, I've gave up ringing the GP as it's quicker to walk down to the practice, if I can't get to see a GP I demand they ring my my dedicated nurse,who is also the senior practice nurse, as she provided me with a care plan. She has been as good as her word so far.

All the best Ulls xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ellie 73

That's crazy, you shouldn't have to go through so much to see one doctor and get an appointment. It's like that here as well. Getting to see a doctor is as rare as seeing a unicorn, rare Yum

• OMg that's crazy....here we can book GP app via internet...and we really see them face to face. I have to say i'm glad i'm here.

• We've got a system where they prefer you to complete an e-consult form if you can and they say someone appropriate should be in touch usually within 36 hours I think. Obviously if it's something urgent you call instead and also the e-consult form doesn't contain everything. But it covers all general non urgent ailments so it should weed out all of those from the phone system, if people actually use it when they should.

Cx

• Day 3 phoning the GP.  8:00 engaged tone Frowning2 

• Keep trying every day x

Ruth 

• Hi All when I phone my GP and the receptionist asks what is wrong. I've over exaggerated and said remember I'm a cancer patient can you help me, the reply has been I'll  get somebody to ring you, me, a Dr. Please. The last 3 times Dr has rang and asked me to go in that day to see them.

I have been known to ask receptionist her name ( she was being a bitch) told her I was going to A&E and tell them she wouldn't let me talk to my GP. Guess who saw the doctor. When I went I told her what I thought of her. X

• I think we will make you the forum rep, you can manage all our appointments. We will give you a badge and our gratitude! Job done? X