Holiday insurance disappointment

• 12 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Today I recieved what I thought was good news via an email that insurancewith were trading and issuing policies again however when I applied for a policy I found they are no longer the firm that deals with individuals you have to fit into tick boxes which with cancer that doesn't always happen. I tried to fill in the online form but found if I answered truthfully I fit into 2 boxes not one so I rang thinking I would get the personal service I had in the past but it was just a lady filling in the same boxes who had no medical knowledge and didn't know what to do about the two answers so my policy was declined. Anyway this is just a rant for which I apologise

• Hi Elliekate, How annoying!! I think a lot of these people are now working from home, and as you have said, are just ticking box's. Have you looked on the travel-insurance-forum to see about any other recommendations? 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi chellesimo  I think I have tried every insurer known to man and I don't know whether the problem is the immunotherapy or the option painkillers. The annoying thing is my health is good, I am in a good stable condition, my most recent scan showed shrinkage in all areas and my consultant is very happy for me to travel.

I will keep on trying but today I'm not smiling.

Thank you for answering my rant

• Try ringing insure cancer.  I spoke to a gent who knew about prostrate cancer, it’s too far out for me but I’ll ring back nearer the flight with updated figures from my regular checkups. Figures from other companies were either no cover or 3 to 4 grand. He reckons high hundreds, still expensive but will be my one and only long trip

• No reason why you can’t travel if you are well and stable xxx

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi. I might be being thick as I’ve not tried for any holiday insurance recently, so you tick boxes to say you have cancer etc, but why can’t you have insurance as normal, but if you need to claim against health, due to the cancer, pay a premium. Like you say, a lot of us feel well enough to travel so why do we get charged a high price, just in case you need treatment that’s related to cancer. What about other health issues, lost  luggage etc?

I’m confused Neutral face or maybe just thick! 

xxx 

• Hi Jane, holiday insurance is always higher for people with medical conditions but I think since covid, premiums have become much higher. Whether this is because they see us as more vulnerable with the added the virus risk, or if the are trying to make money back, caused by the loss in the pandemic. It’s probably a bit of both to be honest, but you really do need to shop around to try and get a reasonable price. 

the insurance company I used to use has been taken over by a company called getcover.com. The previous company were always very good and the cheapest I could find, so might be worth a try x 

Chelle 

Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you I will try that one. I'm not giving up yetSlight smileSlight smile

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to chellesimo

Hi Chelle. I can understand it if you have a problem due to your condition, but what if I just lost my suitcase?  My insurance has then cost me three times, or whatever, more than my husband, who lost his too just doesn’t seem fair, getting penalised for being ill, I know it’s not your fault Joy, I’m just saying. It should be addressed, insurance companies shouldn’t be allowed to do it. 
    jane 

xxx

• I think it is far more complicated than that, but you can take out insurance which doesn’t cover your condition, and only cover loss of luggage, which would be the same price as your husbands. I personally wouldn’t recommend that, but I know people that do. My Dad has done that before. 

Thank you for not blaming me, I am simply the messenger not an insurance broker JoyJoy 

Unfortunately this is just one small example of how people are discriminated against for having cancer.  I guess we could argue with the insurance companies, but I for one don’t have the energy for that. 

Chelle 

Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to chellesimo

Yeah i guess so, but I didn’t know you could take out a separate insurance, so it makes more sense now. 
    Hahaha definitely wasn’t blaming you, I just needed to understand it a bit more and you’ve explained it well, thank you. 

Me neither. I just got accused of not helping some lady who had fallen over in m and s carpark, she was getting help from another lady anyway and I knew others would help. I just knew I couldn’t pick her up, A little old lady said aren’t you going to help, you’re a strong girl?

How little people know and how much do we judge. I tried to tell her I was poorly, but she just blanked me. 
    I had to go and get a bottle of brandy and some wine after that Joy 

I made sure I could carry that Joy 

xxx