Coughing up blood

• 28 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Has anyone had this.

when on holiday yesterday I coughed and could hear fluid. Had to spit out a spoonful of blood 

it happened 4 times and then stopped . My husband got very upset. But after it stopped I have been fine.

anyone else had this?

i have a face to face appointment with my oncologist on Monday. First one since lockdown maybe I can have an X-ray of CT 

anyone else had this happen in the lung ?

• Sorry to hear this Ruth. It must have been upsetting and rather alarming for you both. Maybe, as you say you now feel fine, you will be able to stay calm, try to relax and not put any undue strain on yourself until you get home. I hope you can manage to do that and take the best you can from your time by the sea. Thinking of you.  Rainie x

• Speak to chellesimo Ruth, she had similar. Damaged he throat through coughing and brought up oodles of blood. Only a week ago. On the way to recovery now though luckily. Xx

• That does sound alarming, I hope it's nothing  serious. Good to have a soon face to face appointment. 

Best wishes 

Sarah 

• Hi Ruth, I am so sorry to hear this, as Norberry has said this happened to me this week, so I know how scary this is.  There are numerous reasons why this might of happened. Mine was because I have had flu, and coughed and coughed so much, I had burst a blood vessel in my windpipe. 

I would suggest you contact your GP, that is what the NHS guidelines would be for coughing up blood, this could be a simple infection that needs antibiotics. I know you are seeing your oncologist on Monday, but a quick call to your GP today could put your mind at ease. 

xx 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • I cough up a lot of blood ruth. Tranexamic Acid pills stop it. I take 3 x 500mg pillls three times a day. Morning noon and night. I have worked up to that dose as my disease has progressed.

Ask your doctor I reckon.

Much love,

Stuart x 

• Hi Ruth, Yes as Chelle said, there can be a number of causes. Last year, I coughed up blood, only once, it turned out to be a gum infection that antibiotics cleared in seven days. Not worth taking chances though. I hope you called your GP today and got some advice, instead of waiting until Monday.

Please let me know how you get on! 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Thank you for all your helpful comments.

i have been fine since I will definitely mention it to my oncologist. He did say once you can have radiotherapy to stop bleeding.

It was definitely from my lungs as I could hear the fluid rattling in my lungs like it does with phlegm.

anyway the head and neck nurse said my oncologist is off sick and now I have had a text saying I have a video appointment so we will wait and see what happens on Monday. She did say they would rearrange the appointment for the following Monday 

my son is coming to stay this weekend and we are all going for a meal with my daughter who is now off sick with hyperemeses gravidarum . She just has to go another week and the baby will be fully formed I am trying to deter her from taking antiemetics until she is past the 12 weeks even though her GP has prescribed her  some 

Ruth 

• That's a good point Ruth, I forgot about the radiotherapy. I had 5 shots of radiotherapy to reduce the bleeding and it worked really well. Definitely grab that if you're offered it. 

Much love, 

Stuart x 

• Hi Ruth 

Very worrying that. As others have said, it could be due to a multitude of things but that won't stop you getting concerned.that there could be something serious. Glad to hear it stopped though and I hope it doesn't start again. So convenient that you're going to to see your oncologist on Monday, I hope of course that it's nothing serious. 

Just on the topic of face to face. I received a letter from my cancer unit at the Ulster Hospital just outside Belfast to say that there is a new purpose built cancer unit opening on a particular date (can't remember when, just that it was a Monday) and the letter went on to say that ALL appointments would be face to face so I turned up the following Friday to be met with open mouthed reception staff curious as to why I'm there. I didn't have the letter with me so I explained it emphasizing that it said all appointments with all in capital letters. I had my appointment with a junior doctor who had the same name as one of my uncles. Issued with a new appointment which was last Friday I departed.

On Friday past my phone rang and it was the doctor from the cancer unit. I explained to him about the letter and it was news to him too. Very unusual, I'm going to ring on Monday and I want to speak to the person whose name is on the letter. Also, the cancer unit has been called the McDermott unit since I have been attending which is 6 years. Now the brand new unit on a different site within the hospital grounds has been developed with MacMillan money so I wish the doctors who ring would call it the MacMillan unit because I'm going to give the ones who ring the sharp end of my tongue for not referring to it as the MacMillan unit especially since it has ploughed so much money into it. Sorry for such a long response Ruth.

Take care and stay safe Ruth

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • I hope that your daughter and her baby are ok

Sarah