End of treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 57 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Had a long talk with my Consultant today, it should have been a face to face appointment but I didn't get the appointment, just an appointment for chemo tomorrow.

My Consultant doesn't think there's any benefit in trying another chemo. It doesn't cross the blood/brain barrier, and although my latest scan shows more tumours in my liver, it's the brain tumour and spinal cord cancer that are the problem. The chemo is usually fairly well tolerated, fatigue and sickness, hair loss and risk of infection are the main side effects. I've had 3 bladder/kidney infections so far this year and 4 hospital admissions with complications from chemo, so am high risk of another hospital admission.

So we've made the decision, no more cancer treatment. I feel well, in fact better than I've felt in over a year of chemo, and am sick and tired of always feeling sick and tired.

My Consultant says chemo is unlikely to give me any more time, but the risk of infection for someone in a wheelchair with a permanent catheter is very high.

We've talked about this day as a family and now that it's here I feel confident it's the right decision for us.

It'll be hard to tell our sons and my twin sister, but there's nothing to be gained from flogging a dead horse. My brother had his op on Wednesday, and has been moved to another hospital to deal with a collapsed lung so it's a difficult time for us. I'd like to be as well as possible for as long as possible so that I can see my brother when he's out of the woods.

If things change and I start to get symptoms from the cancer in my lungs, liver or spine I can change my mind. Otherwise I'll be posting in the End of Life forum and don't really know what to expect from here on. We're having a stair lift fitted on Thursday so I'll be able to have a bath and shower, one of life's luxuries.

Need to finish the Memory Walk,I'm so grateful for the donations from here, especially as so many charities are struggling at the moment. xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Ok I’ll stay Blush Hadnt realised the EOL group was so quiet, but that had to be a good thing. The support here is humbling and very much appreciated, I don’t know what I’d do without you all xx

• Dear Tinalay , what a decision to make, but it is the right one if you want to enjoy the time and receive all the love and hugs from your loved ones, and from us here of course!! It is still scary but you're not alone in this time and that should help. I wish i could do more but i want to send you a hug!!!! 

•   I hope you have lots of quality time with your family.  Bless you.  Take care.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Pet1968

Thank you for your support  hugs do help! xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to WishingWell.46

Thank you  I had a look at your profile and it seems we’re in a similar position. xx

• Dear Tinalay, I'm so sorry to hear your news but glad you've made the decision that's right for you and your family. You sound so at peace with this as if you've taken control over what's to come and I admire you for that. I hope your brother continues to get well and you get some quality time together.

I don't get on here much but I'm happy you've decided to stay in this group.

Lots of love and virtual hugs,

Fi xxxx

• Oh Tinalay I don’t know what to say except I wish you and your family all the very best.

I have been reading your posts and you are one inspirational lady.

Lots of hugs

Patmart

• Oh Tinalay, I am so glad you have decided to stay with "our group" as you are much loved and respected here and we all (I'm sure) want to give you virtual cuddles when you need them and share the many good memories you are about to make in the coming weeks, months, or I hope years. Like the recent Memory Walk which was amazing to share with you!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Yes we are in a similar position.  I feel my prognosis has come up very quickly.  Still trying to wrap my head around it.  I’m about to start having emotional support from my local hospice by email to help me cope.  I hope you have the best life possible for as long as possible.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to WishingWell.46

And you  I have an excellent councillor and it helps to talk to someone who has no emotional attachment. I hope you’ll be as well as possible for as long as possible, and feel well supported. xx