Memory Walk

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 69 replies
  • 43 subscribers

My brother in law was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia at the same time as I was diagnosed with incurable but treatable metastatic cancer. It was estimated that he would need full time residential care within 4 years. My prognosis after gamma knife surgery to a brain & skull tumour was 6-18 months, possibly 2 years.

That was a year ago. My BIL died last May aged 70. He went from an emergency admission to hospital into respite care & then full time care in the first 3 months of last year, & by that time we were in lockdown. Difficult times.

I signed up for the Memory Walk before I needed a wheelchair, so wasn’t sure if it would count, but it is a workout, I was knackered after the first leg yesterday. No doubt it’ll get easier, looking forward to the next bit already. I’ll post photos & updates here so I don’t highjack another thread xx

• Fantastic, it's great when people are lovely and helpful, so glad that you are enjoying your walks.

I'm glad that you reported the plumbers van too, I'm often amazed by the people who think they can block the pavement with impunity

Best wishes for clement weather for the rest of your walks

Sarah 

• Hi 

You're a star, well done.

Sometimes these places have large sturdy wheelchairs that you can borrow free. If not, I'd normally make a bit of a fuss and see what happens.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

I need the power chair  being pushed in the hair would feel like cheating (and I really hate it)

It's really easy to switch to manual but it is a heavy chair. My wingmen keep trying to grab it if I get a bit off piste which will never work. I'm surprised how many places do have chairs though, and mostly that'll be absolutely fine. xx

• Hi, I am pleased you got help when you needed it. We all complain about pot holes in the road but it is not until you are in a wheelchair you realise the pavements are just as bad. There are a lot of places where there is no dip on the edge to go across the road and when you get to the other side of the road, you catch on the edge of the pavement! Every time you go out it gets more like the dodgems or an assault course trying to get passed the cars etc parked half on the pavement. I also report them because it is now against the law! The worst thing, for me, is cobblestones!!!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

The plan was to do a short walk locally today. It turned out to be another gorgeous day, warm sunshine & loud birdsong, so my wingman Alison & I decided to check out a couple of other walks to see how wheelchair friendly they are. I couldn’t have done it without her. I got stuck on tree roots at one point and ran into a wall towards the end when I was flagging, Alison couldn’t speak for laughing!

We did 12000+ steps!! Absolutely delighted, 1 more short walk & we’ve reached our target of 20 Blush xx

• Another cracker. Will you secretly be pleased when you have finished and its Toblerones all round in front of the fire? I bet the OH is looking  for a couple of stress free days?

Its great that you can try so many routes , you can maybe find some you can do by yourself once you are au fait with your lifesaving machine?  Anyway, more congrats. Xxxx

• I was thinking of a good sturdy battery powered chair , it's possible, and sensible, to book one, even on the day you intend to visit although better booking ahead. Should you change your mind then all you need to do is cancel and someone else will be happy to have it.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hi Tinalay, sounds like you've had another amazing walk! The roots of trees can stop you in your tracks. So can bigger stones and acorns they are a nuisance too! An acorn got stuck on my wheel yesterday and if my OH hadn't been with me, I would have had to flag down a passer by! I am quite reluctant these days to go out on my own, there are so many obstacles but you do have to laugh when you get stuck in the mud. At least I come out of it clean but can't say the same for my husband! 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

I didn't realise you could have access to a power chair that's good to know. I'll definitely look into that. xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

All four wheels on the ground otherwise the chair as sturdy as it is can topple over. I don't have the confidence to go out on my own yet. Some of the dropped kerbs are at such a steep angle they don't feel safe, and there are potholes and parked cars everywhere! xx