Gardens and gardening 2021

• 253 replies
  • 52 subscribers

I love it when the first signs of Spring are appearing. This, apart from tête a tête daffodils, the lovely star daffodil below is my first one in the garden this year, and before St. David's Day! And a beautiful, almost cloudless, sunny day yesterday.

Take care and stay safe everyone

Tvman xx

• Hi 

Thank you so much for bringing that to my attention, I'm going to give it my utmost attention. There's a little itty bitty problem though. If you look around the countryside, there's not much happening in the garden right now. The garden is just awakening from its slumbers after 3.months of winter. I'm sure if I can look hard enough I'll find a suitable topic. 

Thanks again Chelle, I am truly grateful and I'm stunned at the same time that you thought about me.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Greenhouse update. It’s now in a skip at the local recycling centre. Got up this morning and it was a crumpled heap on the patio. We have now ordered some wooden framed grow houses to go on another place on the patio which should do the trick but cost a lot more than the greenhouse. Live and learn I suppose

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• Can you bring such a greenhouse indoors if high winds are forecast? Can you buy anchoring kits designed for the job? , how is your mini greenhouse anchored to the house?

I had two of my raised beds invaded by rabbits overnight on Sunday, they made a bit of a mess, digging out some little onion sets that I had put in. They didn't dig in two of them, one has horticultural fleece over my seed potatoes and in another bed I had sown carrots and parsnips and thank goodness they never touched that bed. I have all beds surrounded by 1metre high chicken wire now so it shouldn't happen again to those ones, if it does I'm going to enter them for the rabbit Olympics lol. I should have taken a photo, I'll do that today and pop it in here.

Tvman x 

Love life and family.
  • My husband is very good at DIY and drilled into the wall it has metal bolts that it is fixed to. It is taken down over the winter 

your garden sounds like Mr McGregors and Peter Rabbit. Good you have taken preventative measures. We get a lot of caterpillars on out pretty broccoli leaves and Roger spends hours picking them off every year.

I will start my seed trays in the shed in April and plane the seedlings out in May. Looking forward to lots of carrots and courgettes again. Xx

Ruth 

• Sadly as we have only just moved in we didn’t know wind direction etc and there wasn’t any wall space to fix it too. The replacements are lower so will be fixed to the wall under the window so won’t blow away hopefully we won’t get rabbits as we are on an estate and have two cats. 

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• We have our vegetable patch rotavated by our friendly gardener every year. He then puts hoops across to support the anti bird and deer netting. It does look nice.

I clean our small greenhouse so it looks professional.

We then continue to go to Waitrose to buy our veg as usual!, I'm not well you know.

• Ha ha. You will enjoy them when they arrive it is good to eat seasonally 

I’m also not well you know 

Ruth 

• You are right Ruth, La Norbette does try to make me eat healthily. Probably because of all the money she will lose when I keel over! 

I didn't know other people on here aren't well either, what a coincidence! SiT always makes a fuss, I always thought he was just putting it on!

• Oliver in the garden Oliver in the garden

Oliver in the garden daffodils coming through 

Ruth 

• A very contented dog. No worrying pandemic thoughts keeping him up at night!