Gardens and gardening 2021

• 253 replies
  • 52 subscribers

I love it when the first signs of Spring are appearing. This, apart from tête a tête daffodils, the lovely star daffodil below is my first one in the garden this year, and before St. David's Day! And a beautiful, almost cloudless, sunny day yesterday.

Take care and stay safe everyone

Tvman xx

• Only joking Tvman,  I have about a third of an acre. I let the bloody deer eat my roses, I feed the badgers eggs so they won't dig up the lawn, looking out now, that hasn't worked. The foxes eat the badgers food  and cause a right mess. The aqirrels eat the birds food and wreck the feeders but they are all welcome.

I do have more firearms than Donald Trump because we had rats coming in from next door. They can definitely tell the sound of a bolt action!

I bought this house because of the huge garden and am only moving because the cancer has taken all my strength and stamina. We would love to stay here, the view is breathtaking.

You know when I post excessive things, its a wind up, don't let it upset you.

• Ah, I have an images button! So I can show you how well my garlic and shallots are doing after an October sowing.

Take care and stay safe everyone

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Looking good. Satisfying to see the shoots coming through 

Ruth 

• Thank you Ruth and yes, you're spot on. This afternoon I was in the garage sorting out which seeds need sowing indoors and either transplanting to a larger pot indoors or outdoors in a greenhouse. 

Whatever I grow and wherever I grow it I'll be thinking of my friends in MacMillanland and when I'm going to show them. 

Someone, and I'm not mentioning any names , recently said they had never looked at the gardening thread. WHAT? You don't know what you have missed girl! Now have you got the bug? Tut tut. Still can't believe it Rofl 

Take care everyone and stay safe

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Here I am !! Loving it as you rightly predicted Blush xx

• Oh Tinalay, How could you not have been on here before with our resident garden Guru (TVman) he'll have lots of jobs ready for your husband to do and your garden will also be pristine!

Since reading the replies etc here, I've now got a 4 shelf plastic greenhouse for this year. I'm just not sure if I can plant seeds in small pots in it, or if it will be too cold! It even has a winter cover to go on top of the see through plastic one, so I don't know it that makes any difference or not!  Over to you TVman!! My garden, even although I've downsized it because of mobility issues, gives me great pleasure. Especially when our grandchildren come to help! They now have all their own trowels, gloves etc and love it! They were so excited this week to see Tête-à-tête daffodils flower!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Oh  how I laughed at the idea that my Aussie husband would be given jobs to do in the garden! He is domesticated after 30 years with me but has his own way of doing things. He can turn his hand to anything which is a huge benefit especially at the moment.

I once got someone in to decorate because Dave worked away from home at the time and had to admit, he would have been slower but he would have made a better job of it.

I’m loving this gardening thread, so much talent so many great ideas Blush xx

• Hi Annette @andanv

Lucky you getting a plastic greenhouse. It may be small but I'll see if I can come up with some big ideas. 

Right, let's see. Ok, first you need to decide where you're going to site it. Of course you want it to get sunlight so against a south or south west facing wall is best. Facing south will subject it to a lot of sunshine (even in Scotland) so to avoid overheating you should open it up to avoid seriously high temperatures which would dry up little pots. 

A trip to the garden centre will let you see some lovely cacti and succulents. If you buy any, you'll need to bring them indoors during the cold weather and place them in a sunny window.

Geraniums are fantastic from late spring to early autumn then during their dormant period place in a garage or similar until you see little signs of new growth so you can bring them back into your greenhouse. 

You could also raise your own tomato plants in a sunny windowsill but watch out for a hot sunny period drying out the compost and your plants going limp. If they do, then a long soak in water will revive them. There are varieties of tumbling tomatoes that you could put on a top shelf and the tomatoes will cascade down and you'll get lots of cherry tomatoes. A variety such as Tumbling Tom, Tumbling Tom Yellow or Tumbler. If you don't want to raise them yourself then good garden centres will have a great selection of plants from early April onwards. There are also Bush tomatoes but it depends how much space you have between shelves. I have only today sown tomatoes for my 8'x6' greenhouse and they're on a south facing windowsill, should be germanating in a couple of weeks. I think though that this year you could buy plants either from eBay or similar on the internet or a good local garden centre which is probably best.. 

As for other plants, a chat with a knowledgeable salesperson in Dobbies or similar should help you out. There are many other plants apart from vegetables but I'm a veg expert. Just thinking that you may be able to buy a chilli plant or sweet pepper plant as well as a small courgettes plant or aubergine.

Do an internet search for plants to grow in a small greenhouse and that should you a few ideas but bear in mind that it's quite small so to plant cucumber or sweetcorn plants isn't possible, no matter how good an Idea it seems. 

Good luck with your greenhouse and don't worry if something doesn't work, there's always next year. 

Take care and stay safe Annette.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Bought a small plastic greenhouse in b&m today. 6ft high 4ft + wide and about 18” deep four shelves inside and only £25 so I guess we will be doing some gardening this year

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• A bargain . I hope you have much enjoyment with it, enjoy!

Tvman

Love life and family.