Gardens and gardening 2021

• 253 replies
  • 52 subscribers

I love it when the first signs of Spring are appearing. This, apart from tête a tête daffodils, the lovely star daffodil below is my first one in the garden this year, and before St. David's Day! And a beautiful, almost cloudless, sunny day yesterday.

Take care and stay safe everyone

Tvman xx

• TV man when you go into reply, is there an insert button at the bottom. You should be able to click on that and a list will come up with image/video on it? x

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Chelle

Many thanks for your advice. I always use a smartphone and I don't have that function available in front of me. I have had the problem of no image button a few times so it's an ongoing situation that the community is aware of.

I shall take the opportunity of using the image button to post my photo of the azaleas and the dwarf rhododendrons while the opportunity exists. 

Take care and stay safe Chelle

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Ok everyone, just in case you didn't realise the Chelle post was containing the elusive bank photo of mine, here it is

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Ah I see that can be frustrating for you. I’m glad it has appeared so you were at last able to post the photo. That certainly looks like it was hard work. rhododendrons are my favourite x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Everyone again

Here's a photo of my vegetable plot looking down it from the raspberry canes towards my greenhouse. All the raised beds have space between for a wheelchair. Two of the beds have fleece on them because they have potato plants starting to come up and there has been a frost for each of the last 6 mornings.

Take care and stay safe everyone

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hi , That looks like it was amazingly hard work. I dont have your pain, but am afraid I give up after about 30 mins of exertion, so your efforts seem herculean.

and , sorry still not converted to lawns, but I can recognise skill and effort when I see it. My own lawns (ha) are a mixture of long grass, bald patches and weeds. Its called nature you know. Ask Chris Packham.

• That's a proper garden, Tvman. My vegetable seeds have done nothing. I suspect that the pigeons have nipped off the shoots.

Stuart x 

• Looks good we also have the anticipation now the seeds are planted waiting about 2;weeks for seedlings 

Ruth 

• Glad you managed to get the photo on . Looks hard work clearing that x

Ruth 

• Hi Stuart, it may be too early to sow the seeds, this year there are a lot of frosts and the soil hasn't warmed up. If you have sown outdoor tomatoes or cucumbers, courgettes, runner beans, some varieties of peas, the soil is just too cold for germination. I sow a lot of my seeds in the greenhouse and then once they're large enough to plant out I would harden them off first. To harden plants off means to put the plants out of the greenhouse into a tray or whatever for an hour one day then put it back in the greenhouse and the next day for an hour and a half and so on, increasing the amount of time until the conditions are warm enough.

To avoid pigeons or other birds nibbling on the young shoots, get some fleece and simply lie it on top of the seeds down but remember to weigh down the fleece on all sides, leaving plenty of room for upwards growth. The fleece will act as a type of greenhouse, warming everything underneath as well as warming up the soil. You could also warm the soil up using the fleece before sowing seeds. 

What seeds have you down? And does the information I have given you help? 

All that isn't just for Stuart, my friends. Enjoy your gardening. I'm happy when I'm in my garden, it's a happy place to be Slight smile

Tvman

Love life and family.