Hello again.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 90 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hello folks. So sorry for another absence from the site for reasons along the same lines as   I have been watching from the sidelines though and have had some good laughs and more than a few tears along the way.

I'm sorry to hear about your latest brain CT  and wish you the very best of luck with your treatment. Sounds like you're in groundbreaking territory and you're the right man for the job.

I thought I was doing ok on a reduced dose of chemo, but the blood & urine tests showed an infection which spread to my kidneys. I was really suffering with sciatica and then developed weakness and loss of control of my bladder and legs and ended up being admitted for an emergency spine MRI. The 1st scan showed that the spinal cord itself wasn't being compressed, phew, but flagged up another concern and a second scan.

The second scan shows leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, meaning the cancer has spread to the lining of the brain and spinal cord. It's rare, complicated and the prognosis is 4-6 weeks without treatment, 2-6 months with. The original brain tumour and bone tumours are all growing and the cancer markers have been climbing steadily since November.

Any treatment is to preserve mobility and manage pain but is high risk.

So I'm home on high dose steroids until the MDT meeting next week to see if radiotherapy is an option.There's 1 type of chemo on offer, again if the potential benefits outweigh the risks. It's my call, if I feel I can cope with more cancer treatment they'll try Eribulin providing the steroids keep things stable during the next 2 weeks.

it was a lovely boost to read your good news, thank you for sharing that, I'm delighted for you.

I've got some catching up to do and hope to have an uneventful couple of weeks to get there! xx

• It’s ok I am used to waiting for  weeks I just get on with the things I can do. I am looking forward to sitting out side a pub again soon.

I am lucky I can afford to pay for the drug. The NHS are supporting me taking it with blood tests and scans x

Ruth 

• I have to get it prescribed and pay agin every month. It took a lot of research and me asking for it. I am the only one in the uk taking it at the moment it is licensed for leukaemia in the UK the phasen2 trial results come out in the US in June.

I am lucky to get it.xx

Ruth 

• £700 a month is expensive enough, but some of the drugs are way more. I was looking at Erdafitinib as there were positive trials in the US, but it was coming out at $46,000 per month Grimacing

Stuart x 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Galilee

Yep, one of my chemos last year was eyewateringly expensive.
    A patient came back from holiday somewhere in Europe & had left her chemo behind. She asked for more & was told it would be more cost effective for her to go back and get it. I was switched from weekly paclitaxol to 3 weekly abraxane last year because of covid. The NHS. wouldn’t fund abraxane prior to covid because of cheaper alternatives.

I do feel guilty at times, but my Consultant just says, ‘worth every penny’  Cant  imagine having the additional stress of worrying about money.

xx

• O was quite shocked too, , but I didn't know how to put it which is why I asked how long it lasted for her. 

, I read your profile and t have a couple of things in common with you. First, about the retirement. I had the idea for years that I was going to buy a motorhome which brings me to the second in common that when the children were younger we used to go to campsites in France and I loved it so the Idea we had was to travel round Europe in the motorhome. 

When I was diagnosed in March 2015 my plans were in tatters and I.was disconsolate and depressed so much that I had to have counselling for months.

So Ruth I've just read that you have to pay monthly. Will the NHS not fund it? It's good that you did your research to find the drug.

Take care and stay safe everyone

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

So, after the literally life changing events of the last week, going from a blue light ambulance into full palliative care, working with the physios OT and orthotic departments over the weekend and my husband putting handrails in at home, a Dr from the ward came to see me. She said, good news, your scan last week was clear, no sign of cord compression. 
    WTF !!!! Read the notes... I told her what was happening & she just said well I obviously don’t know you as well as I thought. I’ll be back to examine you later.’

You can flee up and burst before I let you anywhere near me.

Nearly lost it completely, but in the end there were only a few tears and some very bad language. 
    Discharge being arranged as we speak Blush xx

• Sometimes I think that some of these doctors would struggle to diagnose a decapitation. 

Hope your move home goes smoothly. 

Stuart x 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

WTF indeed!!!

I have had an excellent experience with my Oncs & support staff to date - just the withdrawal of the 2nd round of chemo being the only downside and I just don't know how I would respond to this kind of thing...

Seems to me that they need to get a little (LOT) more joined-up!!!

It'll be good to hear from you once you're home and settled back in - concentrate on that

XXXX

• The NHS refused  to fund it my oncologist tried but I am lucky they will support me with the scans and blood and consultations.

it was so hard to get the drug and no one else has managed to get it in the UK but people abroad have got it but have also to pay for it. x

Ruth 

• I would have been so angry.as well. When things like that happen it is upsetting as well as making you angry.

love xx

Ruth