Hello again.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 90 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hello folks. So sorry for another absence from the site for reasons along the same lines as   I have been watching from the sidelines though and have had some good laughs and more than a few tears along the way.

I'm sorry to hear about your latest brain CT  and wish you the very best of luck with your treatment. Sounds like you're in groundbreaking territory and you're the right man for the job.

I thought I was doing ok on a reduced dose of chemo, but the blood & urine tests showed an infection which spread to my kidneys. I was really suffering with sciatica and then developed weakness and loss of control of my bladder and legs and ended up being admitted for an emergency spine MRI. The 1st scan showed that the spinal cord itself wasn't being compressed, phew, but flagged up another concern and a second scan.

The second scan shows leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, meaning the cancer has spread to the lining of the brain and spinal cord. It's rare, complicated and the prognosis is 4-6 weeks without treatment, 2-6 months with. The original brain tumour and bone tumours are all growing and the cancer markers have been climbing steadily since November.

Any treatment is to preserve mobility and manage pain but is high risk.

So I'm home on high dose steroids until the MDT meeting next week to see if radiotherapy is an option.There's 1 type of chemo on offer, again if the potential benefits outweigh the risks. It's my call, if I feel I can cope with more cancer treatment they'll try Eribulin providing the steroids keep things stable during the next 2 weeks.

it was a lovely boost to read your good news, thank you for sharing that, I'm delighted for you.

I've got some catching up to do and hope to have an uneventful couple of weeks to get there! xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I am thinking ahead to your 64th birthday and wishing you and.your family the best of celebrations and hope you have a great Christmas xx

• Dear Tinalay, 

It is lovely that your family are together in wanting as much information as possible, I hope that the home adjustments happen promptly and efficiently.

Best wishes with your initial goal, I love birthdays Birthday. Good luck to your brother.

Love Sal x

Sarah 

• Hi @Tinalay,

Sorry you have been hospitalised again. Hope the planning for home is going well, and when you get back there is a pile of chocolates for you to enjoy. You are clearly a tough cookie, so the aim for November is a good one, and then hopefully whatever comes next.

xx

• Hi Tinalay, Yes, I think forewarned is forearmed! The more information you have, the more control you have. The first thing is to get you home ASAP and then for Occupational Health or whoever is overseeing the home adjustments to get things sorted to make that happen!

By this time, you and I know, they can only guess how long you have (they usually get it wrong) and they don't take into account the human spirit and zest for life!

I hope this Lockdown eases soon so that you can make lots of memories with your family including and beyond your birthday!

I also want to wish your brother all the best!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Just seen my Consultant, no improvement in bladder, bowel or leg weakness despite radiotherapy & high dose steroids. Now classed as spinal injury. From the medical point of view I can go home, just need the physio & palliative care teams to have things in place.

Just going to focus on going home, which will no doubt be a big reality check considering I walked in here on Wed, but  in the meantime the steroids are really doing their thing!

xx

• You just get home Tina, you know that's got to make a difference to how you feel. As long as you have your anti pain team on hand you are back in charge of your life and body. Keep your OH busy, he will be pleased to have you back to keep an eye on you I am sure. Keep us updated when you are settled. Xxxxxxxxx

• Pleased for you you o be going home. I’m sure you I’ll be well looked after.

I had my MRI of my head today I am learning to cope better with MRIs but still take  a Valium. Will discuss the results with my oncologist in 2 weeks  I managed to get my targeted drug by paying for it over the phone difficult to do as it had to be done in 7 different transactions as they can only do £100:at a time. After 4 the card gets declined and I have to ring the bank to get them to lift the block. Anyway all done and I get the tablets delivered tomorrow 

Ruth 

• Ruth, I will never feel sorry for myself again. I just feel so upset when I read how so many people are suffering here.

I hope the sun shines on all of you. Xxxx

• Hi 

I'm happy for you that you managed to buy your targeted drug, you'll feel a lot better now too. How long will it last you before you need to get it again? Was it hard to find?

Take care Ruth and stay safe.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ruthjp

Hi  it’s good to hear you’ve got your targeted drug but it was a bit of a shock to hear you had to pay for it....

2 weeks is quite a wait to have a scan review with your Oncologist, are you able to put it on the back burner for that amount of time? xx