Don't mention the bus!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 60 replies
  • 52 subscribers

I'm sure between us we could write a book on what not to say to someone with a terminal diagnosis. 

"We're all going to die"

"I could be hit by a bus tomorrow"

are fairly high on my list, along with "what's going to happen to your dog?" and "have you lost all the hair down below?" (why do you ask???)

My sister was very upset by something my cousin said to me yesterday, "we're all terminal"

We're all mortal. There's a huge difference between being mortal and being told that advanced metastatic cancer is progressing and likely to be the cause of your death in a matter of months.

We're all going to die but hopefully most of us will not be having treatment that makes us very sick, invasive tests and the constant threat of complications hanging over us.

Depending on your source the chances of being hit by a bus are 1 in 3.2 million.

We all appreciate that it's hard and sometimes impossible to say the right thing, and that sometimes people blurt, but some of these throw away comments that trivialise what we're experiencing should be gently put to rest.

We're all in the same storm, we are not in the same boat. xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Norberry

Yay Norberry here’s a tip for you! Apologise before posting anything! It’s a “get out of jail free” card for when the second thoughts might outweigh the original post. And I can just as well crush your ankles as your knees if that makes you more comfy? In fact, in cost of Plaster Of Paris, it’ll be cheaper. And don’t fret about YoungMan, he was clearly just taking the P xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi .. I'm new here, I was on the liver cancer forum but their's very few posts. 

This looks a little more lively so I may get some stuff off my chest.

I'm apparently inoperable and a bad candidate for transplant having got COPD so I'm getting TASE chemo, its delivered through a wire from the femoral artery. I have 4 tumours so I'm on my 5th treatment in a year. One nurse said she knew if someone having 8. 

No prognosis so I feel I'm in limbo being 67 and been isolated from the beginning. 

Well that's me .. hi 

• OldBob, so pleased you have found us. You are right, it is so lively here some of us are regularly moderated for lapses in taste or just for insubordination.

You will fit in nicely, we are all a bit unwell. I bet you will find people on here who have things in common with you and your problems.

I'm older than you by a bit, it is miserable being stuck in isolating I agree. Can't last for ever.

You will find nice people on here. When you are fed up, day or night, have a chat, have a moan, have a real ruck, social distanced of course!

Toodlepip.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi  welcome to the group, it’s a very friendly & lively group so I hope you’ll feel less isolated here. 

I’ve just had a look at your profile, and there are just no words for such indescribable loss. Life really can be very cruel.

You might be able to access counselling through your hospital cancer service. 3 years is a far, far too long to wait. The isolation caused by this pandemic is tough. Does your daughter live locally?

I hope you’ll find some kindred spirits who are familiar with the treatment you’re having and that you can get some stuff off your chest.

xx

• Of course I failed to look at your profile, I do deserve a whack around the head for that. I wish I had waited and greeted you like Tinalay did. So sorry for what you have gone through and are going through.

• Welcome to the group , we're sometimes a bit crazy here, but it will make you smile and it helps. Hugs Pet

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember
    • Hey oldBob - I have secondary liver cancer, primary lung - not that it matters.  Welcome to this group, some lively ones on here.  You have been through it and you do need somewhere to come and chat and we are a friendly lot.  There is another group called The Room I have recently read about in this group where you can have a rant if you want to and really get stuff off your chest. Some of the guys and gals have been here quite a bit longer than me and will be as welcoming as Norbs and Tinalay.  x Maz x  
  • Hi ,

Welcome to the group.  You will certainly find that you are not the only one here who struggles with isolating but as you have found already people here are very welcoming.

Some people want a prognosis but many others don't.  I have never asked as I know that if i had one I would treat it as a countdown.  They are not very accurate anyway as many people outlive them, especially as new treatments are developed.

I have recently accessed counselling myself after trying to do so for some time, it has certainly been worth the effort for me in pursuing it.    has made a good suggestion but if you have no success then you might want to apply for a Macmillan nurse.  They will not offer counselling but would be able to find out what was available in your area and would help you in your efforts to access it.  It certainly sounds as if you have been though more than most and I can see that counselling might be very helpful for you.  You have to ask for a referral for a Macmillan nurse either through your GP, your oncologist or your cancer care nurse.  Macmillan cannot afford to operate in all areas but they share this role with Marie Curie.

Wishing you all the best,

Gragon 

• Hi OldBob & A warm welcome to the Group! I hope you will get as much help here as you need. However Tinalay and Gragon (really good to see you post again). Although you can get support here, sounds to me that 3 years is far too long to wait for Professional help, such as see a councillor! I would be contacting my GP asking again for an urgent referral. I got Counseling from my local Marie Currie Hospice but you can also get access via Oncology, Maggie Centres etc you should not have to wait this length of time! Sometimes you have to be pushy! It seems strange calling you OLDBob as I am older than you.

I hope your daughter and yourself are in a bubble and in contact! Sorry we've met here but welcome! Once you join this Group, you will always have someone to talk to day or night!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi there and welcome to our group you will get loads of support on here it's a real life saver for me even before covid and yes we do have some really colourful characters on here and they are brill when you need cheering up 

Flippen