Lobectomy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 43 subscribers

One of my tumours has not been responding so I'm scheduled to have an op in one month's time. Hopefully it will be the lower half.of my left lung that I wake up missing and it will be a VATS procedure but neither is guaranteed apparently once they've had a bit of a closer look in the operating theatre. 

Its a bit daunting as ive read up and post op pain seems to be a bit of an issue, so I was wondering if anyone else has had this procedure and has any recommendations please?

• Hi Phil,

I have lung mets and now brain mets as well.

i was diagnosed in 2009. So a similar story.

i have not had a lobectomy but have had several procedures of RFA on both my lungs whic I think has slowed things down. The pain was well controlled with the usual painkillers when I got home of paracetamol and ibuprofen . I had the stronger painkillers in the hospital.

i now am on slow release morphine for my headaches but I do not have pleural pain any more.

my brain mets were not suitable for gamma knife but I am on a new drug for my type of cancer called ATRA which gives me some hope. I know it is palliative but I am feeling well at the moment and enjoying doing the things I can and enjoying seeing friends and family. Missing some friends because of Covid. Hoping to meet up in a pub garden this week with 2 friends 

good luck with your surgery 

Ruth xx

Ruth 

• Hi Phil       my sister had a lobectomy in April where they took the top lobe of her left lung.   She was in some pain after the op but this was controlled with tramadol and paracetomol.   Her wounds are now fully healed and she looks great.   Sadly due to Covid she had to go through it all on her own, but brave lady managed it.   I have a met on my right lung but so far it is behaving itself.  Good luck with your procedure x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ruthjp

Thanks Ruth, yes I've got a brain met and both adrenals have mets as well as the other lung and my scapula. 
    I'll try and be active as possible and do what they're after to help recovery but I'm so tired already I am worried I will be tempted to just take the pain killers and remain in bed too long!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Patti48

Patti, this s encouraging as that is quite fast. Did she have VATS or the traditional thorasic surgery? 
    4 months to fully healed would be brilliant

• Yes it is an anxious time for you.

Sounds  like you have the right idea to be as active as possible when you are up to it.

it is also important to be kind to yourself.

Ruth x

Ruth 

• She was scheduled for VATs and I believe that is what she had.    The operation was carried out at Bristol which I believe are experienced in the VATs procedure.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Quick update,  I noticed a load of new bumps, like cycsts just before immunotherapy and as a result they did an ultrasound just before treatment. They found a load more so no more nivomulab for me and was told to go away in our campervan for the 9 day break we had planned. 

I'm back now and started cabozantinib yesterday. V lucky to have the option of such a crazy priced med and obviously pinning a lot of hope that it will help control things

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Phil 

I am Mags i had a lobectomy upper right lung by vats 31st March procedure was easier than I thought, after pain was very manageable, wounds now all healed I am a staff nurse back at work .

• Hi ,

I hope that you enjoyed your trip away.  Good luck with the new treatment

All the best,

Gragon