Chemo to tablet

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Hi been recommended to on tablet Niraparib just wandering if anyone has been on this or on it now? Had four lots of chemo which has given me a low count so I know it worked and have not had to many side effect with that. Hope  everyone is doing ok with all that's going on in the world and staying safe .

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi

Long time! How are you? Before I pile in making big assumptions, you are the Leslie from the womb group aren’t you? No you can’t answer that so I’m just going to have to assume I’m sure I’ve got the right person.

I haven’t taken niraparib but I did have 15 months of really great cancer control with its sister drug Rucaparib. The details are in my profile if you want to have a look,  it’s probably easier than repeating them here.

The day the news came through that my doctor had been able to prescribe the drug for me, she told me to go out and buy a bottle of champagne.

They are both PARP inhibitors that work by inhibiting DNA repair. If you want to tell people the kind of treatment you’re on, it’s called a biological therapy.The beauty of this treatment is that it’s a tablet, so there are no infusions and none of the horrible invasive stuff. If the side-effects are appalling, you can tweak the dose relatively easily.

I had a fairly common pattern of quite severe fatigue for the first few weeks which then lessened considerably. For a while  I was able to live I basically normal life on the PARP inhibitor until eventually the cancer got round it. 

Of course it’s impossible to say how you react, or even if it will work for you, but I hope my experience at least provide you with a glimmer of light. It’s always nerve wracking starting something new. I really hope it does work for you, I really hope you have a minimal side-effects and that you get cancer control for months and months and months.

Of course it’s impossible to say how you react, or even if it will work for you, but I hope my experience at least provides you with a glimmer of light. It’s always nerve wracking starting something new. I really hope it does work for you, I really hope you have a minimal side-effects and that you get cancer control for months and months and months.

Now, don’t forget to tell me more about what’s been happening in your life. It’s been ages since we talked.

Lots of love

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Sorry I think you have the wrong Lesley I am in the incurable group.

Thanks anyway started my tablet tonight so heres hoping 

Take care Love Lesley xx