Has cancer taught us anything?

• 42 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi all,

The thread "who are we" led to me thinking about how I am different since a cancer diagnosis, and mentioned that cancer had changed her. So my question to anyone who wants to answer is - what have you learned?

For me, the first diagnosis in 2004 led me to decide I never wanted to work full time again if I could afford it, so I dropped to 4 days per week as soon as I could. Facing mortality does have a salutary effect on deciding what is important. Well, you'd think so wouldnt you? But I know I let some of my resolve about working less slip away over time. I still worked part time, but I know I gave too much of myself to work, which in a way was giving myself to other people, given my work was about supporting staff and people in emotional distress. The second time of diagnosis reminded me. I recognised that I had given too much of myself to the stresses of work life, and had sometimes not paid enough attention to family and to myself and what I needed. Bit bloody late, n'est pas? If I subscribed to the view the lifes sends us the lessons we need to learn, then The Universe had to shout at me to get me to listen ( and no I dont subscribe to that view, hippy dippy shit).

The good things learnt, finally - look after those close to you, look after yourself and dont care too much about the things we are taught to care about - "success", money, things. That life can still be good even having joined this group of incurables,  and we live in days ( see Larkin poem of that name).

• Hi Daloni

This group is composed of many individuals and no one person is greater than the group. I'm happy to be part of it.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

I was going to press like bit noticed the icon had gone. 

That is another mystery to this group some times the buttons are there sometimes not. Sometimes like today some have them others don't.

My IT skills are pretty rubbish is one thing I know with or without Cancer. 

• The like icon vanishes when the site randomly logs you out. So if next time it vanishes, check you can see your username in the top right of the screen. If not, log in and you'll find the like button has returned.

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Thanks I didn't like to say it was there on everyone's post except TV man I thought he might have been a bit naughty again so they had taken his button away. Only joking TV man . 

• Well now! That is an odd one! Lol. 

Might be worth dropping the Admin team a bug report in that case in case it's a wider issue or a sign of a bigger bug! 

Hope you're having as good an evening as you can! 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Hi! Back again with a thinking head on. 

I did so enjoy reading what everyone else has written. There were some real old chestnuts in their about the value of family and friends and focusing on the things that matter. It’s almost as though people are saying it took cancer to bring alive for them personally these universal truths. It’s definitely  true for me too. 

The big lessons I’ve learned have included the value of gratitude, or counting my blessings as my mum would have put it. I’ve learned that you can’t tell by looking just what someone’s going through so always react to the grumpy stranger with kindness just in case. I have learned that the best way through my own suffering is to reach out with kindness and compassion to those around me. 

I’ve learned that the way I feel in the run up to a scan, for example, makes no difference to the outcome. So I might as well choose to be optimistic. It’s much more fun. I genuinely can’t imagine getting to the end of my life saying “well. I wish I’d been more miserable”. 

I’ve learned how to step back from my feelings and examine them in a spirit of curiosity and genuine interest. I don’t judge myself for the way I feel anymore and that’s allowed me some scope to choose which feelings to put to one side, gently like a glass ball on soft tissue paper, and which to have around. 

I have learned to be less embarrassed about my feelings. I’m much more likely to tell my friends I love them. 

For all my talk of choosing positive, I have learned that I can’t avoid the more difficult emotions of anger or fear, for example. They do have to be worked through, taken out and examined with that spirit of curiosity. I have become more discerning in who I talk to about the big stuff. Some people just can’t handle it and it’s not ok for me to dump my rubbish in their lap. Sometimes I feel as though I’m carrying a giant orange ball of pain. Some people can hold it for me for a while, some can’t. I need to pick the right person. 

I am learning to make space for people to care for me. I don’t like having to ask for help and be dependent but i can avoid it less and less. Asking the right persin to do the right job is something I’m learning. 

This is getting dangerous. I’m painting a picture of some kind of Mother Theresa with mets  it’s all a work in progress, you understand. I frequently get all this wrong and forget everything I’ve learned. 

Although I haven’t forgotten the skills I’ve learnt. I’ve had months and months of treatment that have left me sitting on the sofa. I filled that time with learning new things. I’ve taught myself to crochet and sew. I make some truly beautiful things for my friends and family. I really enjoyed that.

I was lucky enough to find out who my friends were, who they are. It turned out to be my friends so that was nice. I have also made lots of new friends through cancer too. My virtual friends here, of course, and people I’ve met through having cancer. There are people I’ve met while going through treatment and people I’ve met through various volunteer roles. That’s been wonderful. 

I have had some real tangible nice things come my way too. I represented Macmillan at Prince Charles’s 70th birthday tea party at Buckingham Palace, for example. That was a hoot, from the fun day buying a new frock with the help of friends and a personal shopper at John Lewis to showing off the invitation on my mantle shelf to seeing the new Duchess of Sussex on her first public engagement. Who could have guessed how that would change?

In 2014 I spoke at an event at a fancy hotel in London, where Joe Brand was my warmup act. I was there to help with the fundraising auction and I brought an entire room full of the rich and famous to a standstill. You could have heard a pin drop as I told my story. I met Grayson Perry and even got my picture in the Tatler clutching Mera Syal’s arm.

I spoke at a conference where I told a platform of clinicians that I’d heard every one of them tell the audience how they “talk to” cancer patients, “inform” us, “educate” us. But I was really disappointed not to hear a single one say they listened. It was a real sphincter clenching moment in that room and I thought I’d gone too far but I’ve been several times since that it was pretty memorable and a game changer. 

I really think that will do for now. I have enjoyed thinking this through. I wonder how much of it I’ll want to delete when it’s light. 

xx

• Hi

Like you, I was going to press the 'like' button, and then I hoped it wasn't there ha ha, but it was, and I did, you little rascal! Lol 

I hope you're having a good night's sleep and you don't see this until the morning. 

Take care Maz and keep safe

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • I like all you have said here daloni but I am quite a shallow person and I really need to know about your dog, Noodle. I dont think I am alone here so let's hear how he/she reacted when you appeared at the doorway. No detail is unimportant. For example is Noodle a doodle?

Is he she following you everywhere in case you disappear again? Is your bed the dogs bed? Are you both scoffing treats? Please consider all. Thank you and still hoping things great at home. Xx

• Maybe this is one for me for the future I'm still taking it all in so still feeling angry sad confused the list goes on but I agree you find out who your real friends are - the ones I expected to be supportive have been totally silent xx

Carpe Diem
    Deb1E
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Norberry

this very funny post would be better in the ‘Homecoming’ thread.

xx