Bad news

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 184 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi gang 
I talked to my today oncologist about the scan on Tuesday and it’s not good news.

The tumours in my lungs are growing and there’s a new growth in the liver.

They think the pain I’m in is caused by growth in the cancer around my kidney. It’s now pressing on a nerve and this (rather than the spine tumour which was last week’s theory) would also explain the numbness in the skin on my thigh.

The team has proposed radiotherapy to the kidney tumour with the aim of giving me some pain control. They (and I) think this is the top priority. 

Beyond that UCLH has no useful trials to offer so my oncologist is contacting Barts, Guys and the Marsden to see if they have anything.

Sorry to bring bad news but I know you like to know.

I’ve been in appalling pain for a few days now and the hospice nurses have been great. I’m now on stronger pain killers to try to bring the pain under control. I’m hoping the next 24 hours will see some change because frankly I can’t go on like this. 

It’s been frightening how quickly I’ve deteriorated. On Monday I was walking the dog. Ok I was struggling but I did it.  Today I’ve been in too much pain to stand long enough to cook dinner. I guess it takes only a small amount of growth to go from not pressing on a nerve to pressing on a nerve.

It feels like I’ve crossed a rubicon here. I’m no longer treatable but not curable. Now it’s the palliative phase. It’s a lot to take in. There have been tears here, from both me and my daughter 

Xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Beth

That was a lovely message to wake up to. I am so very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I can well imagine your shock and dismay. Everything one reads about UPSC (and I imagine Dr Google was on hand those early weeks) is shocking and dismaying. I am so very glad you found your way here and that this community has provided some comfort and support here. I’m glad that I’ve been part of that. 

It is more than alright for you to write here. I love the saying “there’s no such thing as a stranger, just a friend you haven’t yet met”. I think applies so well to this community. The doors are open, the virtual kettle is on, so please, come on in. 

Thanks for your good wishes for my treatment. I was not woken by pain last night. Hurray! It was the dog woke me, to tell me a stray cat had been in and that she, the dog, needed to patrol the garden and utility room. She was a good girl and didn’t bark outside and settled back down to bed. I digress. Not to be woken by pain was a first since this latest shift in my pain began. It feels like progress. 

I wish you all the best with your treatment. I hope your doctors are able to achieve stability for you and that you can find the space in your head to enjoy it. 

With love and hugs 

xxx

• I have not really been reading/posting lately and have just ready your post this morning.

It is so difficult to know what to say to you and if I can be completely honest, I think that your news, which takes the wind out of our sails, give us a bit of a reality check about our own individual situation.  Well it did for me.

Having only been a member on this site for a short while, I can se the love and support everyone give to each other and yes that is a comfort.  Just know that Love is not for one another is not tangible.

I would like to think that your eldest daughter left because of the shock and reality check of such a sad situation.  She probably needs time to reflect and gather her own strength before she return to be of support to you and your youngest. 

I truly hope that the trials unit can find something to help with the pain control. 

I am not good and finding the right things to say, however I don't think at this time there are any right things we can say. The messages of support from your post show you how much people care about you like you have cared about everyone else, even in the face of adversity.

Take care warrior.

xxx

• Apologies for the grammar but it was written from the heart

• Dear Daloni

I am very sorry to hear your news. Hope the pain is now under control. Your persistence, positivity and sheer force of will are an inspiration. I really do hope that your team can find some way to help

Take care, you are a treasure

Xx

Flowerlady x
  • Let me post this again - the grammar really was not good and deserves the time for you:

TAKE 2

I have not really been reading/posting lately. I  have just read your post this morning.

It is so difficult to know what to say to you, if I can be completely honest, I think that your news (has taken the wind out of our sails) gives us a bit of a reality check about our own individual situation.  Well it did for me.

Having only been a member on this site for a short while, I can see the love and support everyone gives to each other and yes that is a comfort.  Just know that Love not tangible it is all around though you can feel the love just from the replies you have had.

I would like to think that your eldest daughter left because of the shock and reality check of such a sad situation.  She probably needs time to reflect and gather her own strength before she returns to be of support to you and your youngest. She probably needs her own time. People deal with situations differently and maybe this is her coping mechanism.

I truly hope that the trials unit can find something to help with the pain control and you gain some control yourself.

I am not good and finding the right things to say.  However,  I don't think at this time there are any right things we can say. The messages of support from your post show you how much people care about you, just as you have cared about everyone else, even in the face of adversity.

Take care warrior.

• So sorry to hear your news I am not clever with words as you know keep fighting on there is always hope at least they are working on your pain control and no doubt they will be working on other stuff for you everyone on here is rooting for you with support and love as you have always given so much yourself to us all when we need it most I should know personally you know what I think about you as I explained in my last post to you giving you lots of love and hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Flippen
  • Hi Beth () I've just read your post to Daloni and just wanted to say a warm welcome to this Group. I'm so pleased that after months of reading, you decided to contribute and hope you will continue to do so. You are not the first and certainly won't be the last, to read posts for a while before posting! I hope we get to know you better very soon, I'm glad you found us!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh Daloni, i am so sorry to hear this, it must have knocked you for six. I hope the doctors can get on top of the pain for you and that someone comes up with a trial or further treatment for you. I am sending you a virtual hug (((((((HUG)))))))) and lots of Yorkshire love too. Lynn 2.xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear All

Will you excuse me if I don’t reply to each of you individually? I want you to know I cherish each and every message from my friends here. I feel surrounded by love and goodwill. 

My love goes out to you all this Sunday. I hope you all can find some joy in the day. Maybe a beautiful flower or a particularly nice cup of tea. That would do me. 

xxx

• Hi Daloni

Of course I don't mind, and that means you don't reply to this message either!

I had to scratch my head when you said this Sunday, I thought when's that? Lol. You have suggested what is how I define a lovely day, something as simple as a pretty flower. In my front garden I have a medium sized Malus tree and in a side garden I have a very large Japanese Cherry Tree which is 5 months short of 40 years old and for the first time that we can remember, they are flowering together. The Malus always flowers first, then the Cherry tree always follows.

Up in my plot, it'll make my Sunday if any potato plants in the potato bed have any leaves poking through the surface, or any of the last two tomato varieties have a little seedling coming through.

As you say, it's little things in life like that make a day.

Try to have a lovely quiet day yourself Daloni, and relax, close your eyes and dream.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.