Bad news

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 184 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi gang 
I talked to my today oncologist about the scan on Tuesday and it’s not good news.

The tumours in my lungs are growing and there’s a new growth in the liver.

They think the pain I’m in is caused by growth in the cancer around my kidney. It’s now pressing on a nerve and this (rather than the spine tumour which was last week’s theory) would also explain the numbness in the skin on my thigh.

The team has proposed radiotherapy to the kidney tumour with the aim of giving me some pain control. They (and I) think this is the top priority. 

Beyond that UCLH has no useful trials to offer so my oncologist is contacting Barts, Guys and the Marsden to see if they have anything.

Sorry to bring bad news but I know you like to know.

I’ve been in appalling pain for a few days now and the hospice nurses have been great. I’m now on stronger pain killers to try to bring the pain under control. I’m hoping the next 24 hours will see some change because frankly I can’t go on like this. 

It’s been frightening how quickly I’ve deteriorated. On Monday I was walking the dog. Ok I was struggling but I did it.  Today I’ve been in too much pain to stand long enough to cook dinner. I guess it takes only a small amount of growth to go from not pressing on a nerve to pressing on a nerve.

It feels like I’ve crossed a rubicon here. I’m no longer treatable but not curable. Now it’s the palliative phase. It’s a lot to take in. There have been tears here, from both me and my daughter 

Xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Daloni

Sorry to hear your news , hope the other hospitals come up with another plan for you.

You take care of yourself, and wait to see what they come up with  and hopefully will hear soon.

Take Care Ellie xx

"You Never Walk A Lone"

• Hi , I’m sorry, disappointed and lots and lots of other emotions to hear about your bad day. I hope your tears give you some emotional relief/ resetting to keep plodding on in your usual brave way. 

I wish I had a hugging gif to send you like gbear, my little hugging emoji seems so inadequate Hugging

Best wishes my friend

Take care KT

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Daloni,

I’m so sad to hear this news.  What a horrible shock for you.  I was wondering why you had been quiet over the last couple of days and now I know because you have been dealing with such pain.  I very much hope the pain killers do the trick and it subsides.

Wishing you some positive news from the other hospitals.

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Daloni, 

So sorry to hear your news. I hope that they find the right kind of pain relief for you, so you can at least be comfortable. I also hope that they can figure out a treatment plan for you that goes beyond purely palliative. Sending you lots of positive vibes.

Michele xx

• Oh my friend, this is not what we want to hear! I do hope they can get your pain relief sorted again as they seemed to do at the beginning of March. You have an amazing Oncologist and Team behind you that we and you know will do everything they can to find a suitable plan of action for you! Hopefully they will find it soon so that you can get started!

We are all here for you, as you are for us. Allow your body to rest for a while and try to let it regroup! You have both your girls home at the moment so let them look after you as I'm sure they would love to and talk to one another when you feel like it, especially to your oldest girl who is an adult in her own right! Let her be in charge for a bit!

As always, you will all be in my thoughts and prayers! 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi

Thank you all. I am sitting back and letting my little one take charge, Annette. She’s doing a grand job too.

Unfortunately her sister is back at university. She left straight after I got home from hospital last week. She’s staying there to keep a friend company. Her friend’s parents apparently won’t come to pick her up for another week or so and she’d be alone otherwise. I’ve pointed out to my big girl that her sister needs her. Neither I nor my little one are massively impressed. I do understand - she’s very invested right now in being independent and grown up but I feel she’s not making the mature choice. 

Xx

• Hi Daloni, While I was reading your post I was thinking to myself " that's very kind of her supporting her uni friend but I'm sure her sister needs her more" then I read on! I don't understand that at all, especially as Uni isn't on. Maybe she isn't as grown up as she thinks she is and she's in denial! If she stays at home, she'd have to face it head on and she's maybe not ready for that yet.

I'm so pleased your youngest has stepped up but I'm sure in a way she'll be annoyed at her sister but at the same time loving taking care of you! Letting her spoil you is the best thing all round I think! 

I see you are a night owl tonight too! I did too much in the garden today, so paying for it now! Hope you get some sleep! 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Oh Daloni...I am so so saddened by your news.....I have everything crossed for you that they get this pain under control quickly and find you a trial too. You are always an amazing contributor to this group and have often given me words of comfort and support.....send out huge virtual hugs Hugging and hope I can in some way be some comfort to you too xxxxx

• Hello Daloni

I hope you get your radiotherapy quickly to help get on top of the pain. Pain is so exhausting and I can imagine that a quick deterioration in function must be terrifying. I can only echo others comments that trusting your team to do all that is possible to help must be a comfort. I too wondered if your eldest child's escape was because she can't deal with the idea of loosing you and doesn't want to see you like this. Sometimes family feel that they can't show weakness in front of you but 'coping' and being strong can be very exhausting. I really hope that you feel better soon.

A life lived in fear, is a life half lived.
    Nicky
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear 

I'm so, so sorry to hear this. There's always anxiety around scans but the dramatic drop in the cancer markers in March seemed so hopeful and perhaps gave a false sense of security this time, certainly to me. This is devastating news.

I hope that your amazing team will come up with something. Most importantly I hope that between them and your palliative team they can get on top of your pain. That's pretty much a deal breaker when it comes to quality of life.

As others have suggested, it may be that your oldest girl isn't ready to face this having had a bit of distance at uni. I know there have been times when I've been frustrated with my twin sister and then realised that for her denial is also a survival strategy in times of crisis. I hope you'll all be together very soon.

As you said, it's a lot to take in and I'm sure there will be many more tears along the way. I hope there's some comfort from knowing how much you mean to everyone here, that we're all thinking of you, rooting for you and sending lots of love and hugs to you and the girls. And Noodle.

xx