Bad news

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 184 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi gang 
I talked to my today oncologist about the scan on Tuesday and it’s not good news.

The tumours in my lungs are growing and there’s a new growth in the liver.

They think the pain I’m in is caused by growth in the cancer around my kidney. It’s now pressing on a nerve and this (rather than the spine tumour which was last week’s theory) would also explain the numbness in the skin on my thigh.

The team has proposed radiotherapy to the kidney tumour with the aim of giving me some pain control. They (and I) think this is the top priority. 

Beyond that UCLH has no useful trials to offer so my oncologist is contacting Barts, Guys and the Marsden to see if they have anything.

Sorry to bring bad news but I know you like to know.

I’ve been in appalling pain for a few days now and the hospice nurses have been great. I’m now on stronger pain killers to try to bring the pain under control. I’m hoping the next 24 hours will see some change because frankly I can’t go on like this. 

It’s been frightening how quickly I’ve deteriorated. On Monday I was walking the dog. Ok I was struggling but I did it.  Today I’ve been in too much pain to stand long enough to cook dinner. I guess it takes only a small amount of growth to go from not pressing on a nerve to pressing on a nerve.

It feels like I’ve crossed a rubicon here. I’m no longer treatable but not curable. Now it’s the palliative phase. It’s a lot to take in. There have been tears here, from both me and my daughter 

Xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Dear and ,

It so good to hear that you, daloni, are doing better and that you,tvman, are making raised beds. It cheers me up.

I have promised both of you photos of my flowers and garden for sometime and I am so sorry that I am late.  

I will start with California where I am just restarting garden. The rose garden was George's, so I am now in charge.  Peas are in the front of house (only flat spot) and are in raised beds (wanted you to see the raised beds tvman). Roses are in the back of the house.  The bouquet of roses was picked on the April 23rd, George's Birthday and were given to our daughter.  They are fragrant, he had a rule not to plant a rose without a scent. The other vase contains Cala lilies from the front garden. My daughter and granddaughter helped clear out the front beds and add new soil a bit over a week ago. 

So the sugar snap peas were planted about a week ago and are doing extremely well.  Also have planted giant sunflowers for later this year. The strawberries are just starting to produce fruit.  Gardening is work, but it is fun. 

Ii hope the garden photographs bring you joy.

Hugs to all,

Millie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Oh they have so cheered me up. I can almost smell them from here. The flowers in the vases  are a wonderful tribute to George. A man of style and substance from the look of it.

The view from your garden looks a stunning backdrop. I’m going to transport myself there now, lie myself in a Sunlounger surrounded by the smell of the roses and  perhaps the gentle buzzing of bees. You can be in the background getting on with the work if you like, Millie, with  glovesto protect your fingers from the thorns and a hat against the Sun.

In true life I’m in bed at 3.30am and I’m wide-awake. Side-effect of the steroids I’m afraid. But at least it’s not pain so that’s a good thing. The lovely  night nurse has just brought me a cup of milky tea! Now that is a real treat.

Good night Millie and I’m looking forward to seeing some more of your beautiful pictures.

xxx

• FormerMember

Hello to you too. I am cheering myself by imagining you with a northern Irish accent saying “ Revenons à nos moutons". It is entirely in my head as I have no idea what you sound like or of the quality of your spoken French. It’s making me smile though. 

I hope your pain dissipate soon and that you’re able to get some more sleep.

Night night xxx

• FormerMember

PS Millie

There is a discussion thread Gardening 2020. Why don’t you post your flower photos there too? I have a feeling some people may have given up reading this long discussion of my current woes and it would be a shame if they missed your beautiful flowers in the process. It’s here 

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/living_with_incurable_cancer/f/7cf15f26-3cf9-4436-895a-f7d7ee79310c/192839/gardens-plants-etc-2020?Page=2#1455122

xx

• FormerMember

Dear ,

Now that you mention it, there are two Sunloungers on the deck right next to the fragrant Roses just waiting on you.  

You are always welcome. In a few minutes at 8PM tonight there will be 'howling' for the caregivers here- the days are getting longer and nicer.

The weather is fine and you would love it. I would even take off the gardening gloves and bring you a nice cup of tea (or a gin and tonic with lime whichever you want- or even chocolate milk).  

Sorry that the steroids are keeping you awake, but I am so glad you were able to share my garden this morning. 

Godspeed to a good night sleep.

Hugs,

Millie

• Hi Millie

Wow! It has been worth the wait, beautiful roses, love peas and beautiful vase of Calla lilies. Calla lilies are beautiful plants that grow well in moist ground at the side of a pond. I had to do a little research just to check that on this side of the pond we know them as Arum Lilies or peace lilies. When my wife and I were working with Chernobyl Children, we paid a visit to Belarus, to a school whose children we were helping and my wife was presented with a freshly picked bunch of bright white Arum Lilies that the children were growing so those lilies, for us, will always be synonymous with that particular visit and period of our lives. 

I'm raising a few giant sunflowers also but I'd guess that your Californian climate will benefit yours! Btw, what a view across the Californian valley, it's truly a beautiful sight. I've peas (Hurst Greenshaft) just popping their heads out of their cells in my greenhouse. Peas are one of  my favourite vegetables and as far as taste is concerned, the taste of cooked peas picked and shelled 30 minutes earlier, can't be beaten. Uncooked, freshly picked sweet peas are just as delicious but you have to remember not to eat them all as you pick them! 

Oh Millie, it's been well worth the wait Slight smile

Take care and keep safe. Oh and please don't listen to your President and please please please refrain from injecting disinfectant!!!

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Oh Daloni

You're so wrong on your expectation of hearing my Northern Ireland accent whilst I say Revenons à nos moutons. The degree that I studied paid great emphasis to the quality of spoken French and I'm afraid you won't hear my accent. I still, after 12 years, practice speaking in French when on my own. One of my tutors was from Shetland and you would have no chance of deducing that from her spoken French Oh, in case you're wondering, no, I don't speak to my plants in French, they wouldn't understand, it has to be in English, with a Northern Ireland accent Slight smile

I have a dear close friend who goes to France once a year and she'll always bring me a couple of seed packets from a French garden centre, so for those plants, I make an exception and of course I speak to them in my best French Slight smile

Take care and get that pain banished please. 

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hi

I had something in mind to add to my last post, but guess what? I've only gone and forgotten it!

However, I'll not waste this space but I'm afraid it's not for you, it's for Millie . You have forgotten something Millie, you need a third sunlounger, one for , one for yours truly and then when you finish bringing the drinks you may plonk yourself down beside us. I can't believe that you forgot moi! I'll have a nice cold beer please, that'll do nicely thank you Slight smile

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • PS Millie

Yes is correct, we should be nattering on about gardening in a different thread, apologies friends.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember

All of you are making me laugh, and I thank you.  MCLkid, if you wouldn't mind setting up another sunlounger, I would be glad to join you and Tvman and Daloni.  Perhaps I could have a latte?   I'd be glad to fix something up for you, too.

Daloni, I hope you get home soon, but how wonderful that they're getting or have gotten your pain under control.  

I've ended up as an inpatient myself, for some antibiotics for a minor infection and a transfusion or two.  I completely balked at the idea of going to the hospital, but then realized it's a chance to feel better.  It's pretty quiet here and I'd like to think that I won't come down with that coronavirus.  Cancer's plenty, thank you!

Your various gardens and flowers are really beautiful.  Truly brighten my day.  

Take good care everyone.

Ordinary Days