Private hospitals to take over NHS cancer patients

• 18 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hello all, not a scurrilous rumour but an article in the Daily  Mail today is saying private hospitals are to take over the care of some NHS cancer patients.

I think the Mail does an online version, can someone see if this is likely to have legs or is it smoke and mirrors?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Janet 

well that’s a relief! Thank goodness. I do feel for the staff. They know the impact all this is having on patients and they must absolutely hate it. 

I hope the chemo unit will be well organised and that you continue to get good results 

lots of love xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Daloni oh yeah was a relief thank you.I just feel sorry that not everyone gets the choice.Really awful times not knowing whats going to happen.I nearly lost my mind.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Norberry,

Same thing has happened in California, almost all cancer treatment has been postponed since early March because of COVID-19.  Makes getting treatment here next to impossible. There is great concern that immuno compromised cancer patients are in danger of rapid death and are trying to distance us from Covid patients. There is now discussion ongoing to return to normal treatments since separate Cover units are now set up. 

And here we also do not always know what is going on. Pandemic indeed.

Warm Regards,

Millie

• Hi Norberry

I have just had my first cycle of treatment at the local private hospital and am booked to have my first 3 x 3 weekly cycles there.  It was staffed by NHS but using the private hospital facilities - felt v spoilt w tv and private room for treatment.  The private hospital has been designated the "clean" hospital for this area so hopefully working up and down the country.

Carpe Diem
    Deb1E
  • Hello Deb1E. I am so pleased that you are firstly getting treatment and secondly in such a nice environment. This must make you feel less anxious about bugs and other nuisances!

As you say let's hope other people can get the benefit of this plan. All round good news.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Deb1E

Hi

Oooh get you! That sounds right posh. Do they serve Earl Grey tea? 

I am so glad you’re getting your treatment. I agree with Norberry. It would be good to see everyone who can get treated safely at a cold site have access to their chemo 

xxx

• Hi All,

Please see below an article from the BBC website regarding cancer operations at covid free hubs.

Click Here

It may require a bit more travel but should be safer.

All the best,

Gragon x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

Hi Gragon my cancer treatment have been moved to a different NHS hospital is much nicer,cleaner,quieter than I have been too  before because was one of the virus centers.This hospital doesnt have A@E and its opened from 8-8 not 24 hrs.Even the chemo unit is quiet.I dont think I want go back to the "virus infested"hospital again.I will ask my onco if can go there for chemo.

Janet