Incurable

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 43 subscribers

I have incurable cancer  and now there is covid 19. I was diagnosed in 2017 I had to leave my job my partner has been giving me money since then to live but he is self employed and had to stop work I don't know how to apply for benifits I'm scared they will say no

• Hi Perrazi,

Times are scarey. Tomorrow the chancellor is making an announcement about support for the self employed. Fingers crossed that helps your partner and you.

• Hi ,

I would suggest you ring the Macmillan helpline on 0808 808 00 00 and ask to speak to a financial advisor.  They will be able to advise you what you can apply for and how to go about it.  In the past they may have arranged for you to see someone at a Macmillan centre but I'm not sure how they are working at the moment.

You may be entitled to benefits irrespective of your partners situation and earnings but they are the best people to talk to.

All the best,

Gragon xx

•  Hi Perrazi

Have you ever claimed sickness benefit? It's now called Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and to claim that, you need to make a telephone claim. Are you getting statutory sick pay (SSP) from your previous employer? Then there's Universal Credit.

It may sound complicated but it's not, once you find out what to claim and as Gragon says, give the MacMillan helpline a ring.  You will be asked a few questions to find out what to claim and you'll be given the best advice there is. 

Today the chancellor will announce his plans for self employed and there'll be 5 million people waiting patiently for him to begin.

Good luck Perrazi

Tvman x

Love life and family.