Community meet up in York on 2nd May 2020

• 7 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

In the spirit of the incurables I have arranged another meet up in York for 2nd May 2020 from 12 noon to 2pm at The Windmill in York.  Obviously we will have to take into account the potential impact of Coronavirus at the time but we will be guided by the situation.  If you are staying overnight then some websites such as "booking.com" allow you book hotels but cancel without penalty at very short notice.  "Hotels.com" requires slightly more notice of a couple of days.

As with previous meet ups if people can let me know if they are interested via this thread that would be great as I have made a reservation but the venue has asked me to call them shortly before the date to clarify how many people we are expecting to attend to make sure we have enough space.

If people could spread the word onto the other groups that they are members of I would be grateful if they could ask if people could express their interest via this thread.  I will ask those attending to send me friend requests so I can send any info and contact numbers to them directly nearer the time.

Although previous meetings have been booked from 12 to 2pm they have continued long beyond this as people got talking to each other and enjoyed the company.  Friends and family have been made welcome previously but please make sure they are aware that the common factor in those attending is cancer and it is likely to be a significant although not the exclusive topic of conversation.  Also previously one or two people were staying over on their own on the Friday night beforehand and we arranged for people to meet up (if they wanted to) so that they weren't wandering the city on their own.  It would be lovely to see lots of you there and to be able to put names to faces.

The venue is a public house called the Windmill on Blossom Street less than 1/4 of a mile from York Railway station.  On the map attached it is the junction towards the bottom left corner. The venue has a website ( Windmill Inn ) and serves food and real ales as well as all the usual beverages.  It has level access for anyone in a wheelchair although the main entrance is over a few cobbles.   It is on a junction opposite Micklegate Bar (pictured below) which is one of the entrances through the city walls.  It has a Premier Inn hotel on one side of it and a taxi firm (Fleetways) on the other.  It is about 100 yards from a York City Council run car park on Nunnery Lane, Council run car parks in York are free to disabled badge holders without time limit and not restricted to disabled parking bays.

To walk from the railway station leave via the main exit and the city walls are in front of you.  Stay on the same side of the road and walk over a bridge and up a slight hill and the venue is the white building on your right on the junction of Queen Street and Blossom Street.

I hope to see lots of you there. Gragon xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks so much for organising this , really, really looking forward to it Smile

Hope to see familiar and new faces there.

xx

• What she said! 

*Points up*

Lol. 

Need to try and get a more comfy seat than last time. Then I'll be there for the duration, hopefully! 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• , , , ,

Hi All,

As I think most of us are self isolating and as the guidance is not to go to pubs the meet up is not surprisingly postponed.  Hopefully when the situation is resolved we can rearrange another one.

Wishing everyone all the best,

Gragon xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

Hi

It seems the pub wouldn’t be open if we even got there. I am not sure how many of us are capable of standing out in the street! 
    xx

• So, this was supposed to happen tomorrow. 

Is anyone interested in doing an online video chat since we can't meet up face to face instead? Less travel for those in Scotland and the South of England for sure! Lol

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Sod's law, the Makaton Training course I was due to attend in April has been changed to an on-line course.... and it's tomorrow.

I'm slowly getting a bit more used to video chats but don't find them easy, especially with any more than 3 people. Apart from technical problems like the screen freezing, poor quality sound, losing the connection etc (messenger, whatsapp, zoom) I just don't feel comfortable and don't really know why. It's good to 'see' people, so hopefully it's just practise, the young folk are so used to it at work.

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi 

I’m not fit. I’m back in hospital. I’ll update in another thread Cry